Suggestion on heavy duty pump for transfering WVO between containers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Suggestion on heavy duty pump for transfering WVO between containers

Hello

I am looking for a heavy duty pump that i can use to transfer oil from the containers at the locations where i am picking the oil up from into my container in my truck which ill be taking back to my location. I will be using this throughout the year and i live in Iowa so i will be dealing with cold weather.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Also looking for a large tank to mount in the back of my 02 f250 powerstroke truck - im looking for some type of baffled tank i can mount in the pickup bed ( taking up the whole bed) which i can have my pump (^^mentioned above im looking for) and just drop my hose into the container at each location and pump the oil into the container mounted in the back of the truck?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Greatly Appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM

nothing is going to work that great in the iowa cold except a super sucker tank. Besides that a gas powered trash pump would work great but its loud.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 AM

Super sucker is the best option for sure but consider a SBC pump powered by a small gas powered engine. They work really good & are pretty cheap to make.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM

A trash pump wont work in the real cold ( great in warmer weather ). A monster gear pump will work in the cold but don't expect more then 10-12 gpm in the winter. I don't know anything about the supper sucker, I am sure its worth looking into.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Unless you make a super sucker. Finding a baffled tank is not that easy. You might be able to pick up a few Semi fuel tanks, they are baffled.
I picked up 2 80 gallon ones for $80 to use for long trips. But I have yet to clean them and get new seals as they sat in a junkyard for 20 years.

I have a WVOdesigns monster pump. It did well pumping creamy at 10 deg. The bad part with it is you need an outlet.

Last edited by Cashflo; 09-16-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Air diaphragm pumps work really well but then you need an air compressor. If you're want to do it right and never hassle again pik rite corp makes slide in vaccum tanks. They're perfect but they're about $8000.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A gear pump is what you need. Like the SBC pump but a little bigger is better. I have a few different types of pumps that I use. I do have an extra gear pump for sale on a base that you could add your own 110V motor, I would like $40 plus shipping for it since that's what I paid. PM me if interested.

1. Teel pump with non self priming pump with 1" inlet and 1" outlet
Pros- I have it attached to a 2" banjo clamp so I can screw the 2" banjo fitting onto the bottom of my 250 gallon tote and it will empty a full tote in 10 min in 50 degree weather.
Cons- It is not self priming so you must suck from the bottom, which means there can not be chunks on the bottom, it will suck the thicker creamier stuff but does not like chunks of burger or fries. You also need a really good 110V plug in source for this 1hp motor.

2. Gear Pump with 4" pully mounted on a 2x8 with a 3/4hp electric farm duty motor and another 4" pully.
Pros- This is my main pump for collecting, you can suck off the top, I use 1" hose and a peace of 1" PVC as a wand and it works great, sucks about 15GPM but will pick up the this colder stuff with ease, the key for this pump is in the motor, I burnt through 2 fan blower motors and then switched to the 3/4hp Farm Duty motor and it works like a charm.
Cons- It takes 110V to power the motor, this is the only downside to this pump. I used some 1" Banjo fitting so I could keep the hoses stored separate and make it less messy for transporting.

3. Self Priming Trash Pump, if you are going to go with a trash pump get a self priming one IMO. I have a 3.5hp with a Teel pump and it works great. Has 2" hose and I use the same corigated hose for suction and discharge vs. the floppy blue hose for discharge.
Pros- No electricity required Works very fast with the 2" hose and easy to make a pick up want by adding a 2" 90 degree street elbow a peace of 2" PVC pipe.
Cons- loud, not as quiet as those 110V pumps, but the convenience is worth it. Somewhat awkward and heavy but I leave it on my trailer vs. trying to load it into the truck every time.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Too bad I didn't see you about a month ago, I just sold my baffled/heated 90 gal aluminum tank that I built for the back of my F250. I could be talked into making another one, but they're not cheap. Heres some pics if you want to check it out: 90 Gallon Aluminum Tank - Built in heat exchanger - Forums

I've used a trash pump with some success in the winter, but a vacuum tank would really be ideal. I built one and it seemed to work well, but I never had a big enough vacuum pump to be happy with it and I got a good deal on a trash pump so I went that route.

Wouldn't happen to need a 2 barrel cold upflow system would you? I've got one I'm selling. I've also got a tote with 80 or so gallons of solid WVO if you end up with a heated tank and want to mess around with it.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 AM

Check out the monster pump leon sells.

It was about 35 out when I shot this video and the oil is creamy fry oil which is pretty thick when its cold out.

Really like my monster pump! One of the best things I have bought. Tried many pumps and none moved the oil like this thing. The only better solution would be the sucker tank.

Last edited by tubular031; 11-07-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM

This is what the monster pump wont do.

That slurry cloged my pickup screen (1/4 in holes) every 2 minutes.

Having to pay to get it vaccumed out and charging the source for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.