Oil Temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Temp

I know I have seen it here somewhere that you want the oil to be at about 160 degrees when it enters the motor. I have just been running my v/o system for a few days now, but it is hot here in FL and I have never seen the temp up over 150. I have not run on the highway yet, just local roads and in town, but even running at 60 mph., it is maxing at 150.

I have an f250 2000 7.3. Running HIH under the truck for about 7'. Come out of the tank with a 3/8" high injection fuel line to the HIH which is about 3' tops from tank to HIH. As I said, the HIH runs about 7' to the pump, then to the filter (wrapped one time with heater hose) out of filter to heat exchange unit to the motor.

Temp gauge is around 14" from where it enters the motor.
No problems so far, but just wondering if I need to add some heat somehow to the line? Wondering what it will do in the winter if it is topping out at 150 in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what kind of heat exchanger are you using? My rule of thumb is truck at normal operating temperatur (halfway through coolant gauge) or oil at 140 degrees minimum. 160 really isnt necessary if you ask me since the heads are heat exchangers in their own right.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I'll second that about the heads . Your temp as the oil enters the injectors will be well over 160.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
what kind of heat exchanger are you using? My rule of thumb is truck at normal operating temperatur (halfway through coolant gauge) or oil at 140 degrees minimum. 160 really isnt necessary if you ask me since the heads are heat exchangers in their own right.
Heat exchanger is a 30 plate.
I don't have everything wrapped the way I want it yet. I'll be doing that along the way. I eventually want all of the fuel line wrapped with insulation. That should help to hold the heat in. Right now, I only have the main portion of the line, the HIH wrapped in insulation. Just don't want to hurt the motor before I get all of that done.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

hmmmmmm I only have a greasecar heated filter with a veggtherm as a backup but just the greasecar heated filter I see 160 degrees easily in the winter time. I have a 30 plate but I moved to hawaii and truck is in California still. I think you might not have enough flow to your heat exchanger. In summer time I see my oil at 180-200 degrees.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 AM

150 is a warm enough pre head temp for the powerstrokes, but, in your climate you should definatly be seeing hotter oil. Where did you take off from your coolant line to heat your veg system?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschaffer View Post
150 is a warm enough pre head temp for the powerstrokes, but, in your climate you should definatly be seeing hotter oil. Where did you take off from your coolant line to heat your veg system?
I traced the hot side and spliced out of there just over the manifold. Put a manuel shutoff valve in just in case. Runs down to the heat exchange unit out of unit and wraps the filter one time. Moves past the pump to the HIH to the tank and then returns back to motor to the return side.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Only thing I can think of is that perhaps I don't have the manuel valve open all the way. I'll double check that.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhunter View Post
Only thing I can think of is that perhaps I don't have the manuel valve open all the way. I'll double check that.
what size is the valve? It might be restricting flow.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhunter View Post
That mexican valve is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.