goin WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
goin WVO

Guys, first off, site ROKS, thank you. Alright, been lurking for awhile, posting here/there, but yesterday, i acquired a "greasecar" kit. Looks like i have everything for it, minus some hoses..no biggie. From looking at the set-up, i'm not stoked on relocating the fuel pump, and also having such a birdnest up top of motor. Either way, i want to utilize some of the parts...fuel tank, heated filter housing, if i can use the valves???, some type of transition block-off plate/directional,..etc.

Been reading ALOT of threads thru the night, and now my brain hurts. Think, with clear head, could understand better, but anyways, was reading these CV's, installed on the heads. Guess thats the way to roll. My question is, what about the fuel "return" line. Think, thats throwing me off, and also, not using the fuel bowl housing, or using it. Try'n to understand all this.

Anybody, got any bones to throw, i'm all ears...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Same boat. Keep one valve as purge valve and dont move the factory fuel pump. Instead buy a FASS for the WVO side and check valves and mimic the v3. Did you get a copilot also? I have a greasecar and V3 but greasecar redone the right way is way simpler to install and troubleshoot if anything ever goes wrong.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

erb, appreciate the response. Man, i've been beating my brains, at this "idea". For some reason, the "purge/retun" part of the system, is throwing me off.

I found a layout, of using a purge valve from Mcmaster-carr, something about these g.c. valves leak. Anyway, about the check valves, can they be installed at all 4-ports, and be done with the purge/return, completely? I think, thats the question, i'm stuck on. Purging isnt a concern for burning diesel, til temps are up or to shut ur down, i'll be stoked for when operating temps, i can burn something else, thats not buring my wallet.

If 4-cv's will work, then tomorrow, my order of fittings, pump..etc, will be placed. thanks again.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 PM

no you only need 2 check valves and they are placed where the factory fuel lines go into the heads which is one by the alternator and the other back by the turbo.
The heads have 2 plugs that get removed and then you stick a fitting in those and connect your veggie oil supply lines to those 2. The factory diesel fuel pump can and will flow backwards so thats why you need the check valves because you never want veggie oil to push the diesel backwards but you do want diesel to push the veggie oil backwards (this is called flushing/purging) so thats why you use a solenoid. The solenoid/valve is what acts as your check valve for the veggie side.
When I installed the v3 I was very surprised because I have a greasecar set up and remember how a lot of v3 owners say that greasecar is the wrong way because they use valves but fail to realize that the purge solenoid is an electronically operated valve so it confuses a lot of people.
Take the install slowly and ask questions as you go. I recommend taking about 2-3 weeks if possible so you can order the right valves and fittings. You could order the check valves and lines and fittings from BFT so that way you know you are getting correct threads and all and then just adapt your veggie pump to the bft lines. Use the coolant heated filter from Greasecar as that is one of the best things they sell.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
no you only need 2 check valves and they are placed where the factory fuel lines go into the heads which is one by the alternator and the other back by the turbo.
Ok, so the 2-check valves inline with the factory fuel lines, coming off the fuel bowl...next to icp sensor on d/s, and p/s in front of downpipe.

The veg lines, plug into the ports, d/s next to collector pipe, and p/s next to a/c compressor. I actually have a FRx in those ports right now, so that gots to go(for sale).

I dont mind a few switches for the system to work, 1 to switch for the veg pump, i still dont know, if i want one to turn off the fact pump, or let it circulate the diesel thru the stock filter, and one for the "purge" solenoid.

With regards to the "heart" of the veg oil distribution block, wouldnt i need a check valve there, so when time to purge, no diesel is backflushing thru the FTPE. I guess that wouldnt matter, looking at "robotuk/ropotuk" setup.

Hey Erb, really appreciate the info/help man, think i can finally sleep tonight.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

I not sure what all your abbreviations mean.
the check valves are going to thread into the actual heads and then the fuel lines are going to screw into the check valves now.

You only need 1 3-way (off-flush/purge-on) rocker switch and a few relays. I asked you about the greasecar co pilot because it will tell you temperature of vegetable oil, coolant and oil level in your tank plus it can act as your switches.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM

sorry erb... d/s = drivers side, p/s = pass side, FTPE = flatplate heate exchgr

Ahh.. i get the rocker switch. With it in the "on" position, whats happening to the factory fuel pump, is it still run'n, but circulating itself, back to diesel tank? With this threrad goin, you'll realize, electronics, is chinese to me (no offense anyone). So, when you mention relays, i gotta ask, how you wire them up, lol.

Nah, no co-pilot, but i'll install gauges with sensors throughout the system. Rocking 9-gauges for the truck, now....
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM

You cut and redirect power to factory fuel pump with relays so when veggie pump (veggie system) is on the diesel fuel pump shuts off and then the check valves do their job preventing veggie oil from going into the factory fuel lines. All a relay is - is a powered switch for high amperage (or low amperage also) systems. So instead of running thick gauged wire from your battery to a switch in your dashboard back down to the fuel pump you run the wire straight to the fuel pump then splice the relay in that wire and then it gets controlled through a switch with 12v current going through it. Trust me all of us where in the same boat as you at one point where it never made sense. This is why I say give yourself a lot of time to do this but once its all done you will wonder why no one else is doing it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM

how many amps is the stock SD pump fused for?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 AM

r_n, not sure bro...

erb, for the 99-03 7.3 wvo dual tankers , you still in 29 Palms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.