Finally Vegin - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally Vegin

Finally got the system up and running. Been having a problem with the pump losing prime. Did 3 or 4 things today, and I guess one of them worked because it is running great now. Went to town this evening and it felt great having a trip to town for free! Gotta great source for oil. Changing it twice a week. Doing 55 gal in about 2 weeks time.
Truck ran great, no noticable power problems, sounds or anything different than when on diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

engine should be quieter on veggie oil and smelling like fries out of the tailpipe
Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear man!!! Your pocket book just got a little heavier.

Is that your only source?? Sounds like a good one but I would suggest to try & get at least a couple more. Sources can be lost real easy & of no fault of your own. Once you run veg it will drive you nuts when you cannot.

What did you do to fix the priming issue??
Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not my only source, but my best one. The other two are dicey at best. (Had another, but lost it already do to going out of business.) But I am getting oil from them at present. I am still looking for a couple more sources.
I am not sure of what it was that fixed the priming issue. I found a small leak in the hih on the suction side. Fixed that. Then had two leaks on the top of the tank. One is still leaking a bit, but not as bad. It is an old level indicator. The gasket is leaking. I am going to replace that with another, so I am not going to great efforts to fix it. I will just put a bit less oil in the tank. It was right at the top of the tank, which is where the gasket is and was sloshing out around it. I was able to turn the screws a bit tighter, which helped some.

The other leak on the tank is at the hot fox. The screws had loosened up and oil was sloshing out around it as well. Tightened those down as well.

The 3rd or fourth if you count both leaks on the tank separately, was the hot fox itself. The person helping me with the install, put a small screen at the bottom of the hot fox to keep stuff out. I told him I didn't see the need as I was bringing it down to 2 microns anyway, but he insisted. I removed that.

I hear the two leaks on the top of the tank would not have affected the pump prime, so I am guessing it was either the leak in the HIH, or the screen in the hot fox.

The one thing I did find out for sure is that there was not crud in the bottom of the tank and no signs of water. More concerned about water than anything as far as oil quality goes. I was glad to see only oil.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My mechanic really is leary of running veg. He has heard horror stories. I told him it is most likely people not doing it correctly.

Already had someone ask me if I was frying fries in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.