Another DIY wvo conversion idea - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another DIY wvo conversion idea

I've scoured this forum and others (for example, this "classic" thread, Looking for info on converting a 01 f-350 psd - Page 22 - Forums , no i didn't read all 22 pages, ok maybe I did) about converting the 7.3L engine for a 2000 Excursion, yet to be purchased. I've realized that there are lots of different ways to make it work. I like the idea of a regulated return system, but also like the idea of the quick purge times offered by the deadheaded system. I have a thought for a way to combine the two, maybe some of you have a system similar to this, or maybe there is just a great reason not to do it that I don't know about. (the system I'm describing might be very similar to this thread Dead head v.s. return )

The D2 would run stock, deadheaded, with no return line. The WVO supply would run to the "test ports" which, as I understand it, are on the opposite side of the heads as the D2. Rather than installing a check valve directly into the head at the D2 supply, I would install a T, with one leg being the check valve for the D2, the other being the WVO return line. The return line would loop back to the pre-pump line. The WVO return would have a solenoid that was open during WVO, closed during D2. The purge would be identical to a deadheaded system. During purge, the WVO return solenoid would close, a "purge solenoid" would open for a set time, flushing the heads of WVO and pushing it backwards through the supply line for a set distance - and eventually back to the tank. Obviously, the D2 pump would need to be switched off during WVO. Does this seem like a good set up?

On a couple of unrelated questions:
1. what do you think of an AirDogII pump with an adjustable regulator. An Airdog rep says the max adjustment is 65 psi. Will this provide enough pressure at the head, considering there will be pressure loss from going through filter, fuel lines, and FPHE?
2. I plan on using HIH for my supply lines, until I get pretty close to the heads and a coolant-heated tank. The AirDog would not have a heater filter. Should I have something extra, like a VegTherm or a second FPHE, to warm up my oil before it hits the filter? I imagine lukewarm oil going through a filter could kill the fuel pressure. I should say that I'm in WA state, temps can get pretty low here.
3. The only Excursion-compatible exterior tank I have found it made by BioFuels Technologies. It looks great, but $1.5k is a lot for a tank, has anybody found any other options for the Excursion out there?

I will try to post a schematic of the system tomorrow. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

negative on the air dog for wvo, you have to stop the oil from going backwards in the diesel lines and 1500$ is only about 10 tanks of diesel so really its about 8 months worth of driving. The better you do it at first the quicker it will pay off.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

schematic attached...i think

I attached the schematic that depicts the system described above. The WVO would be prevented from flowing into the D2 lines by the inline check valves. Is the consensus that the FASS FPHP is the best pump option? Should I invest in a heated filter and consider my oil to be hot enough if it flows like this: heated tank-pump-heated filter-FPHE-heads. I read a post awhile back that said a coolant pump is the best way to increase heat flow into the oil. I figured I would invest the $100 to add that to the system (it's not pictured in the attached).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0004.pdf (1.82 MB, 280 views)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM

First off are you making fun of my thread?? lol

Second no matter how you design your system DO NOT use a vegtherm. They have been known to plug up with poly. Plus in a properly designed system coolant heat is all that is required.

Why do you feel you need a regulated return on the VO side? More plumbing & more fuel flow requiring more heat to keep temps up. My conversion is based on the Vegistroke design & all that is required is Checkvalves in the D2 lines & VO is fed into the plugged ports in the heads. It has worked great for 40k miles & there are thousands of V3's running the same way. If a regulated return was necessary I would think it would have been determined necessary by now.

If you are concerned about heat for your filter either get a coolant heated filter or get a regular filter & do a heater hose wrap around it.

I would say no as well to the AirDog & would suggest WVO Designs pump or a Fass. They both come with good waranties. Fass has had it's issues but I still think it is a good option. As for fuel pressure you want to shoot for same as stock( approx. 75 PSI) but you will do not damage running as low as 50 PSI.

Aux coolant pump is a great addition & a 203 t-stat will help keep VO temps up as well.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

simone,
I was most certainly NOT making fun of that thread, there's tons of info in there!

Good to know on the veg therm, I'll spend the $100 on a coolant pump instead.

It's not that I feel a RR is necessary, but I get the impression that it is better from a performance standard, though I don't have any quantitative stats that back that up. I get that the deadheaded system is easy to install, and has proven pretty reliable, and plenty of people have it, etc. I'm just thinking, while I'm under the truck doing all this work, would it really be that hard to add in the return line?

On the other hand, I could always do just start with the simple deadheaded system, and then I could pretty easily plumb in the return line at a later date if I felt like it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 AM

Depends on who you talk to about the RR. Some feel it makes a big difference while others feel it makes no difference at all. The reason I like the deadhead is the conversion is simplier & less fuel flows so it is easier to keep VO temps up. I wouldn't do it but that's just my opinion.

As far as a tank goes see if you can find a place locally that will make one. I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet that you can get one made much cheaper.

The only way I would use a vegtherm is if D2 & VO flow through it. The D2 would keep it flushed out. It's just not necessary though.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Depends on who you talk to about the RR. Some feel it makes a big difference while others feel it makes no difference at all. The reason I like the deadhead is the conversion is simplier & less fuel flows so it is easier to keep VO temps up. I wouldn't do it but that's just my opinion.

As far as a tank goes see if you can find a place locally that will make one. I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet that you can get one made much cheaper.

The only way I would use a vegtherm is if D2 & VO flow through it. The D2 would keep it flushed out. It's just not necessary though.
vegtherm is not worth it at all. I have one that gets flushed by d2. I put it on to help in winter time but its pretty much useless. In the summer time when its 100 degrees out it will climb 1 degree about every 2 minutes. In the winter time it will climb 1 degree in about 8 minutes.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good to know guys, thanks for the input. I'm just about ready to purchase all my components (getting my rig next week!). I think I'll stick with the simpler system for now, with no regulated return. During the purge cycle, the normally closed purge solenoid will need to be open for a certain specific amount of time and then closed. Is there a small electrical component I can buy that will put power to the purge solenoid for a certain amount of time (when I push my purge button), and then cut it off, so that the purge is manually started, but automatically ended. This component would have to be adjustable, since I'd have to calibrate it for the correct time. There must be something like this out there, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM

dsumerfi, THANK YOU for the "graph". I'm try'n to put together a system....(thread, goin WVO), but thinking, your system would work perfect for me, too. If/when , you get your material/supplies, would you mind shooting me an email/pm, on parts and acquired them at, man that be cool, or post the info up. I'm a total noob at this, but this 4.50gal is killing me.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys, I have a lot of items for converting 7.3's and 6.0's laying around, shoot me an email or call if you wanna talk about your conversion.
dave
ig0fastr@gmail.com
508 991 1151

99 f250 420k mi
100k+ miles on wvo
superchip tuner
k&n cold air
5.5" exhaust
37" tires with leveling kit
nitrous
17mpg
greenpowerstrokes.com

Last edited by ig0fastr; 09-12-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airdog, deadhead, excursion, regulated return, wvo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.