Good starter kits? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good starter kits?

Well after some research and a lot of thought I have decided I would like to start making my own Biodiesel. I have seen some starter kits online and some look like they are just gloves, beakers, masks, and not much else. I would like to be able to make around 10-20 gallons a week no problem. Anyone have some experience or know of a good quality starter kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Posts: 816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not going to find many on here making biodiesel. It takes too long to make and our trucks use it too fast. Fuel Meister will get you started but there is no such thing as a complete kit. You will always have to buy something extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 2,821
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gibson13 View Post
Well after some research and a lot of thought I have decided I would like to start making my own Biodiesel. I have seen some starter kits online and some look like they are just gloves, beakers, masks, and not much else. I would like to be able to make around 10-20 gallons a week no problem. Anyone have some experience or know of a good quality starter kit?
Freedom Fueler Biodiesel Processor

What "made" your decision to go Bio?? Dollars and cents wise if you site down and actually do the math i think you will find that you will have lower start-up costs with WVO then BIO. Although in most climates you can get away with blending D2 and BIO in the winter months there is still a major concern about gelling within the fuel systems in the cold months. Plus you still need to get your WVO cleaned at the least down to 5m, which if fairly time consuming if you are just filtering and not running it through a centrifuge.

IMO i would recommend a WVO set-up. You'll be able to run it year round without blending. You wont have hazardous chemicals in your garage. You'll be able to put it right in your tank after cleaning it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lewisburg, Pa
Posts: 1,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those "kits" are way to over priced. You can buy everything individually and build something better and cheaper. Bio can be made well even in the crudest of setups. 55 gallon drums make a very good processor instead of using the expensive plastic conebottom tanks.

What made you choose bio? The other guys are right that wvo will be a better idea especially if you do long drives often but If you only drive a few miles than bio is a better bet. If you've got other diesel equipment you need fuel for I'd also stick with bio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What "made" your decision to go Bio?? Dollars and cents wise if you site down and actually do the math i think you will find that you will have lower start-up costs with WVO then BIO. Although in most climates you can get away with blending D2 and BIO in the winter months there is still a major concern about gelling within the fuel systems in the cold months. Plus you still need to get your WVO cleaned at the least down to 5m, which if fairly time consuming if you are just filtering and not running it through a centrifuge.

IMO i would recommend a WVO set-up. You'll be able to run it year round without blending. You wont have hazardous chemicals in your garage. You'll be able to put it right in your tank after cleaning it...[/QUOTE]

I really don't drive far enough on a regular basis. I drive about 5-6 miles to work and then into town and stuff but i normally dont put more than 15 miles on my truck at one time. I only drive around 200 miles a week with it. Plus we have a diesel tractor we use. My dad also owns a propane company and one of the bobtail trucks runs on diesel. It goes through 600 gallons a month during the winter. Also my uncle has a 2000 f-350 7.3 dually and he puts around 10,000 miles a month during the summer pulling RV's around. So my uncle and my dad would by the bio off of me. I figure if i can make it for 1$ a gallon or less then i could sell it to my dad and uncle for 2$ a gallon. I realize that that 600 gallons a month will only be 300 gallons of bio if he does B50 but thats still 300$ profit. During the summer my uncle is home every weekend so he would probably fill up his 120 gallon L tank thats in the bed plus his 3X gallon regular tank. So during the summer i could sell my uncle 300-500 gallons of bio a month and during the winter I would sell my dad 300 gallons of bio a month. I will be able to average 300$ a month extra revenue year round if i go bio.

If anyone has any blueprints on a system that makes around 40 gallons a day that they would like to share that would be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 2,821
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gibson13 View Post
I really don't drive far enough on a regular basis. I drive about 5-6 miles to work and then into town and stuff but i normally dont put more than 15 miles on my truck at one time. I only drive around 200 miles a week with it. Plus we have a diesel tractor we use. My dad also owns a propane company and one of the bobtail trucks runs on diesel. It goes through 600 gallons a month during the winter. Also my uncle has a 2000 f-350 7.3 dually and he puts around 10,000 miles a month during the summer pulling RV's around. So my uncle and my dad would by the bio off of me. I figure if i can make it for 1$ a gallon or less then i could sell it to my dad and uncle for 2$ a gallon. I realize that that 600 gallons a month will only be 300 gallons of bio if he does B50 but thats still 300$ profit. During the summer my uncle is home every weekend so he would probably fill up his 120 gallon L tank thats in the bed plus his 3X gallon regular tank. So during the summer i could sell my uncle 300-500 gallons of bio a month and during the winter I would sell my dad 300 gallons of bio a month. I will be able to average 300$ a month extra revenue year round if i go bio.

If anyone has any blueprints on a system that makes around 40 gallons a day that they would like to share that would be appriciated.
Dude where you gettin the oil for that kinda production?? I want in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Dude where you gettin the oil for that kinda production?? I want in....
Thats what I haven't figured out yet. I already have one local steakhouse that would let me take theirs off their hands. But thats probably only 5-10 gallons a week. But we have around 10 fast food places in town and like 5 other steakhouses. Plus their is a town only 15 miles North of where I live that has like 25 restraunts. So I still need to go around and ask yet but I think I should be able to get 75 -100 gallons a week with not much trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 2,821
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gibson13 View Post
Thats what I haven't figured out yet. I already have one local steakhouse that would let me take theirs off their hands. But thats probably only 5-10 gallons a week. But we have around 10 fast food places in town and like 5 other steakhouses. Plus their is a town only 15 miles North of where I live that has like 25 restraunts. So I still need to go around and ask yet but I think I should be able to get 75 -100 gallons a week with not much trouble.
You might be surprised... I was able to score some good sources in my travels, but i got a lot more "no's" then "yes's" when i asked around. Right now i have about 400 gallons stockpiled and i am not even converted yet. When i do i will be ready though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belton, MO
Posts: 335
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gibson13 View Post
Thats what I haven't figured out yet. I already have one local steakhouse that would let me take theirs off their hands. But thats probably only 5-10 gallons a week. But we have around 10 fast food places in town and like 5 other steakhouses. Plus their is a town only 15 miles North of where I live that has like 25 restraunts. So I still need to go around and ask yet but I think I should be able to get 75 -100 gallons a week with not much trouble.
Dont know were you live but DARLING has got most of anything larger than a small city locked down. And everthing else has people paying up to $1 a gallon for wvo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Posts: 816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh boy: well the misconception of "I dont drive enough miles to install a 2 tank system" is lying to yourself. Once you see how easy it is to drive around for free you will literally drive for no reason. If you think you can stockpile 500 gallons of biodiesel then you are really out there. You are not going to be able to make 40 gallons a day. Maybe 40 gallons a week but it will take you years to get your bio process perfect enough to do 40 gallons in a day. You will either listen to us that have "been there and done that" or spend 2000$ on some tanks and pvc pipes from home depot and realize how messy, disgusting and dangerous making bio is aaaaaaaaand eventuallydo a 2 tank straight veggie oil conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors