Advice on WVO/Bio-diesel?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on WVO/Bio-diesel??

I drive a 2009 6.4 PSD. I have WVO readily available. Tried DSE. Seemed to run fine. Got gun shy. I need some advice on what my options are. WVO blends? Bio-diesel? I make many short trips to town to and from work. (approx. 5 miles) Space is not a problem to build a fuel station, etc. We have cold winters and hot summers. Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go biodiesel if you've got space to make it. You'll burn a lot of diesel still with a conversion because you must purge the system and wait for it to warm up
Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 PM

Right now the only option you safely have is biodiesel.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 AM

head to the BFT forum, hit Clay up, hes testing a 6.4 wvo kit. i dont think wvo is right for you, but hes probably the closest to bio your going to get.

the 6.4 has fuel temp and quality sensors. i would think as long as you have good clean bio youll be just fine. if the 6.4 has optical fuel sensors you will want to stay away from dark bio. but i and not completely familiar with the 6.4. im also not sure how the DPF reacts with bio, and probably not good with wvo...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input. My truck is stock and i would like to keep it that way. Just really tired of paying $4 at the pump. I will look into to bio. I assume bio will not affect performance. I do some towing (cattle, hay, boat in summer) but not alot. if there are any special tricks for making bio I would love to hear about them.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Good bio won't hurt mileage. In fact in might help a bit. Make sure it's good bio. With all the sensors on a 6.4 you don't want to screw anything up. Spend the money upfront and get a good setup that makes good bio all the time. I might even go get it tested to see what you're really running through
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now that I have decided that i want to make biodiesel. What is the best resource. I have looked online at some different sites. Having a hard time sorting through all of the information out there. Is it worth it to build your own system or is it worth the money to buy a processor. What would you guys recommend? Is there a specific website I should go to? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM

It all depends how much time and money you can afford. I don't have either so it presents a big challenge. The generic 2 tank ones you see prebuilt IMO are a waste of money. You can easily build the same thing for a lot cheaper. Utahbiodieselsupply.com has a lot of good info and products. Mc master-Carr is a great company for fittings and all industrial components you might need. Cheap next day shipping. It's cheaper to buy from them than pay for gas to get parts and only have to wait one day.

Right now I'm looking at getting a biopro processor and setting it up with a few standpipe settling tanks and dry wash system. I'm also going to setup pumps so that I can just pull up a tote of oil and drum of methanol and have no hoses to switch from tank to tank. Basically a no touch system except for opening and closing valves. Hopefully it'll be worth the money I spend on it.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 AM

elrojo is dead on. whats your budget? maybe we can help.

before you do any purchasing, follow this tutorial a few times get the process down first, even if you buy a 100% automated BioPro. it is important to know how this work chemically. its pretty easy really.

http://biodieseltutorial.utahbiodies...ngasmallbatch/

then move on to:

Washing Biodiesel Dr. Pepper Style - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

Utah Biodiesel Supply is a great site for information. watch Graydon's videos too, he is highly respected in the bio community. it can be overwhelming at first, but youll find the tutorial i posted is pretty easy. maybe do that first... go with the 25% standard solution, dont bother with doing a titration your first few tests. use a 2-liter coke bottle washed and dried very well. get two caps. drill a small (1/8") hole in one, this allows your to use your finger as a stopper and makes it much easier to drain the glycerine and wash water. (use gloves)

find a local chemical supplier, getting methanol in 55 gallon drums is considered bulk and youll get a much better price than at a race track. NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) and KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) is the same, you'll get better prices on large bags than at the hardware store. it is VERY important to keep your KOH or NaOH in a cool very dry place. not sure about KOH, but NaOH will suck the humidity from the air and become less potent.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 08-02-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Did you talk to Clay yet? BFT is VERY close to having a kit for the 6.4. I wouldn't throw SVO out the window until you find that out.

Where do you live? If you live where winters get cold your gonna hate running D2 when you cold be burning SVO.

Bio is a PITA to make anyway.

Oh & if you value your PSD then please don't put another drop of that DSE crap in it.

Last edited by simone0414; 08-03-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.