Is TIH or HIH necessary? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is TIH or HIH necessary?

Looking for some advise? Wondering if TIH is necessary for a set-up running a hotfox tank with a heated Racor 1000 to a 30 FPHE just before the heads. I live in Reno which maybe gets to 10 degrees on a real cold day once a year. Otherwise its usually around 30-50 degrees in the winter. Just wondering if its worth it or overkill? Thanks for any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscott215 View Post
Looking for some advise? Wondering if TIH is necessary for a set-up running a hotfox tank with a heated Racor 1000 to a 30 FPHE just before the heads. I live in Reno which maybe gets to 10 degrees on a real cold day once a year. Otherwise its usually around 30-50 degrees in the winter. Just wondering if its worth it or overkill? Thanks for any comments!
TIH is not necessary, especially in warmer climates. I've used HOH for 4 years, Insulate it well. I've actually heard reports from guys who have switched from HOH to TIH and really the only temp benefit they see is that it does warm up faster, but once up to temp they both produce the same temps.
The biggest temp booster from what I hear is the aux coolant pump. I just installed one on my truck 3 days ago. I'll give some reports when I get a chance to try it out.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

youll be fine with HOH. the TIH is faster heat transfer. ihad one, but this time around i think im going TOH (Tube Over Hose) I like the aluminum fuel line and how fast it transfers heat. so i plan on using pipe insulation and running the fuel line right up next to the heater hose and wrapping it tight.

for me: hotfox > TOH > pump > filter > fphe > heads

my coldest temps usually only get to -10*F give or take.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, just sound much more simple to do HOH!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscott215 View Post
Thanks for the replies, just sound much more simple to do HOH!
Yes much more simple indeed, and in your climate more than adequate. The main reason as you know is to maintain oil temps from the tank to the heads. Most will tell you that is impossible to inject cold fuel on a Powerstroke. However i say why chance it. Its much easier to cover all your bases the 1st time around, than to realize later that you need it and have to tear your system apart. I say get it hot and KEEP IT HOT!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM

I've removed the racor 1000 from my system and went a different route.

I didn't get sufficient heat through the Racor to meet my needs.

I had a hot fox, 6' of HOH then racor. I didn't like the racor temps. I drove just about 200 miles and the racor wasn't even hot.

Now with my current setup my FASS HD with filters gets hot to the touch as soon as I'm up to temps.

I like the concept of the Racor, but with cool oil I didn't really see it working to its full potential.

I now have blistering hot oil filter temps thanks to a 16 plate heat exchanger mounted before the pump.

And I'm a big fan of the TIH because it looks cleaner
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM

I am a big fan of the TIH as well. As Aaron said it is a much cleaner install, is cheap do make( black iron tees, street elbows & pipe nipples). It provides a much better heat transfer, makes a smaller bundle so is eaiser to feed through tight spots when trying to find routes for fuel lines.

Is it needed?? No. Is more heat better?? IMHO yes. I agree that the auxillary coolant pump is a great addition along with a 203F t-stat. You put a hotfox in your tank & a good FPHE as the last thing before the heads along with TIH, 203 t-stat & coolant pump & you will never have low veg temps no matter how cold it is out.

For the OP where you live TIH will not be required. But I would still suggest it. I would spend my money on a 203 t-stat & aux coolant pump & you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.