Biodiesel/WVO in 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biodiesel/WVO in 6.0

I have been reading threads and looking at some stuff on biodiesel and WVO. I have a 2005 6.0 and want to start saving some money on fuel. From my understanding, to run WVO in my truck i need a conversion kit that keeps the WVO heated otherwise that will mess up my injectors? I have seen the vegistroke v3 kit but its like 3300$ plus a 1200$ tank. Is their a cheaper method that is still safe to run on my truck. I have heard of DIY methods and i am somewhat mechanically inclined but how much cheaper would I be able to do it for? And will it still be safe on my truck. The last thing I want to do is break my truck because i tried to take a cheaper method. I already have a place that would give me their old cooking oil so getting it is not a problem.

Also what about biodiesel? I dont know too much about it. Can i run it in the cold? How do i make it?

I guess I am really trying to figure out if i want to go with running biodiesel or WVO? Im just wondering what the majority of you run and why?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First there is not a "DIY Kit" you can go out and purchase. Yes a DIY conversion can be less money depending on what level of functionality you want from your DIY conversion. If you want something simple in which you manually switch from D2 to WVO or if you want something totally automated. Most that have done their own conversions are using the manual switch, this is how my setup will be.

There has been much debate on weather to go Bio or WVO. Basically it boils down to this... How much do you drive? If you are only driving say 20miles a day to work then WVO will not be effective as you need to get WVO up to temp (at least 140*) before sending it to the injectors. Bio can be a good alternative to WVO as you can blend it with D2 easily. Making Bio is not as easy as putting the ingredients together and getting your old ladies mixer out... It involves somewhat hazardous chemicals and needs to be made in a ventilated area. There are a bunch of guys on the ORG that have made it before and can speak to their brewing techniques.

EITHER way you go understand that you will still need to clean your oil either by filtering or by running it through a centrifuge. Figure on about 10% waste on every gallon you collect. Make sure your source is solid and get more than one, 5 gallons a week wont cut it if you are really gonna go all in.

Lastly going WVO or Bio is not just a weekend hobby. Its a lifestyle, your wife will get pissed at you for having all this smelly oil laying around. You friends will look at you like your crazy. An be prepared for some spillage, veggi doesn't cleanup very easily!!! So make sure its something you really want to do. You will save $$$, but its not as easy as pouring it right in your tank. If it was then everyone would be doing it. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

x2 it is a lifestyle.

IMHO here is what you need to consider. sicne you have a 6.0, which are known to be more fuel picky, you seriously consider, actually require filtering via centrifuge. get your stationary filtering set up once, plan for leaks (clean immediatly), plan for power outages.

the V3 is the best turnkey out there, no contest. you can absolutly do a DIY kit and save money, it just comes down to how much time you want to spend converting, locating fittings, etc.

bio is good to about 40*F depending on the varying feedstock. after that you need to blend in diesel, or run it in a veg kit. but then whats the point?

I run wvo in a DIY kit. well i did until teh truck was totaled. i have replaced the truck and am converting all over again...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gibson13 View Post
I have been reading threads and looking at some stuff on biodiesel and WVO. I have a 2005 6.0 and want to start saving some money on fuel. From my understanding, to run WVO in my truck i need a conversion kit that keeps the WVO heated otherwise that will mess up my injectors? I have seen the vegistroke v3 kit but its like 3300$ plus a 1200$ tank. Is their a cheaper method that is still safe to run on my truck. I have heard of DIY methods and i am somewhat mechanically inclined but how much cheaper would I be able to do it for? And will it still be safe on my truck. The last thing I want to do is break my truck because i tried to take a cheaper method. I already have a place that would give me their old cooking oil so getting it is not a problem.

Also what about biodiesel? I dont know too much about it. Can i run it in the cold? How do i make it?

I guess I am really trying to figure out if i want to go with running biodiesel or WVO? Im just wondering what the majority of you run and why?
Thanks

I've been running 100% biodiesel on my 04 6.0 but its good quality bio . I have a diesel machine that im selling. But i want to start running wvo . And i refuse to pay 3k for the vegistroke . Which brings me to do a custom setup. Like one of the guys here was saying just make sure u use a good micro filter n heat up that oil n u should be ok. Im still debating if i will pull my spare tire out and slap a tank on there ... And use a switch & gauge to monitor the oil level. Now the main question is will the fuel line be tapped b4 or after the stock fuel pump or will i need another pump?.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:44 AM

you will need another pump and leave 95% of the stock fuel system alone.

if i were to pull a number out of my keister i would say you couple probably assemble a good manual system for a 6.0 for around $1100 or $1200. not including the wvo tank of course. or prefiltering setup.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM

FASS pump - 600$
FPHE - 150
check valves -50$
heated filter - 200$
fittings- 250$
then there is relays, switches, wiring, coolant lines, coolant fittings, fuel line, gauges, tank.

a DIY kit will nickel and dime you in the end and there is the possibility of buying wrong parts and not being able to return them.
rover hybrids, v3, frybrid and greasecar are all good options for 7.3

6.0 is something else.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone here have pics of their 6.0 on wvo.? i would love to see some pics of a 6.0 setup... Like how to hook up the fuel lines. Etc....
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM

there is an install manual on the BFT site. WVO Diesel Conversion | SVO Grease Conversion | Ford Vegistroke Powerstroke | Biodiesel Conversion that may help with some visuals...

edit: http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/...d=56&Itemid=71
Old 07-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
there is an install manual on the BFT site. WVO Diesel Conversion | SVO Grease Conversion | Ford Vegistroke Powerstroke | Biodiesel Conversion that may help with some visuals...

edit: Documents - Manuals - Resources
good stuff..

thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Ive been running 10 gallons of used filtered trans fluid. It works great and the only negative is the minimal drop in mileage. Im getting around 16 highway vs 18 on #2. Yes it is a 6.0 and no i havent had to replace injectors...yet i hope it stays that way but 20,000 miles of running and so far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.