Diesel in the wvo tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel in the wvo tank

Just wondering about running diesel in my wvo tank. I can't see a problem, but does anyone know of a reason not to? Ie. get down the road and out of wvo, fill up once, diesel tank and put diesel in wvo tank and get on down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you turn off the heat to your VO system. You don't want to be heating your diesel.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 AM

should be fine?

whats wrong with hot diesel? just curious. the fuel will get hot in the rails anyway...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
should be fine?

whats wrong with hot diesel? just curious. the fuel will get hot in the rails anyway...
That was what I was wondering about. Is hot diesel a problem. If it is...then how do I turn off the system if it is a HIH system. There would have to be a bypass put on the hoses prior to the heat exchanger, right?

And is that really necessary if it is ok to heat the diesel?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Ive been told that you start breaking down the lubricity properties of diesel once it starts getting heated.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhunter View Post
That was what I was wondering about. Is hot diesel a problem. If it is...then how do I turn off the system if it is a HIH system. There would have to be a bypass put on the hoses prior to the heat exchanger, right?

Was thinking about it and I guess the best and easiest way would be the just put a valve in just before the heat exchanger. The diesel then would come out of the tank, to the pump, filter, and heat exchanger, but not be heated. Simple, but only problem would be having to crawl under the truck every time I want to do that.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Was thinking about it and I guess the best and easiest way would be the just put a valve in just before the heat exchanger. The diesel then would come out of the tank, to the pump, filter, and heat exchanger, but not be heated. Simple, but only problem would be having to crawl under the truck every time I want to do that.
off topic but you are from Ocala: is the offroad scene still big out there? Im from Orlando and that was the closest place to ride dirtbikes and atv's.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

This is one of the reasons I put a ball valve at the heater core on my conversion. I can cut coolant flow off to the heater core and/or cut off the heat loop on my conversion. I have options and a safety net incase I spring a leak on the coolant loop... I am all about options and redundancy!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
off topic but you are from Ocala: is the offroad scene still big out there? Im from Orlando and that was the closest place to ride dirtbikes and atv's.
FWC has done their level best to close down the forest to off roading. On the one hand, I see their point. Some jerks were just going out there and trying to see how much they could destroy and how big a rut they could leave. So they shut it down for everyone instead of coming up with way good honest people could run atv's and dirt bikes in the forest. Now, I believe you have to have a permit (not sure about that one) and I know that there are only a few designated areas you can ride in. If caught in a non ride area, it is a $500.00 fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.