anyone in los angeles - ish area who has done a 99-03 DIY conversion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone in los angeles - ish area who has done a 99-03 DIY conversion?

hi, looking to convert my 1999 E350 psd 7.3 super duty ambulance - thinking of a V3 vegistroke style system, but DIY... would love to find someone in the los angeles, ca - ish area who has done the same thing to hire and help out- i am familiar with wvo and have converted many mercedes, and understand the basics of the V3 WVO style system... but seems like it could be a lot of trial and error when piecing it all together.. i'm not afraid to get dirty, just have no experience with the PSDs!
i'd just go with a V3 if i had an extra 4k sitting around.....!
i am willing to hire for assistance in putting together components list and especially the install-i'd hate to have the van sitting in the driveway in-operable for who-knows-how-long while im waiting on a missing part to arrive...! i also have LOTS of super clean, centrifuged, dewatered, filtered to 1 micron WVO that i could barter...!!
thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im in Palm Springs Area. Ive done Greasecar and V3. I do not recommend installing a V3 without the help of at least 2 other people because its very painful instructions and figuring out the wiring connections. Support for V3 is ok but 99.99% of their tech/customer support is their online forum which does you no good when you are elbow deep in an engine.
DIY V3 is going to cost you the same as the actual V3 (minus tank) once its all said and done.
FASS Pump 600$, hoses from pump to engine 300$, check valves 50$, fittings 100$, FPHE 150$, gauges 200$, switches 100$, purge valve 50$, heated filter mount 200$, coolant hose and fuel hose to tank 100$.

So to wrap it up if you want a V3 style system then get a V3 because after its all said and done you will spend just a few hundred less but will be missing out on things like auto on and auto purge plus the fact you just start it up and drive.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah, thats what i was kinda thinking,, DIY seems to be about 2k, vs V3 being $3200 for the kit, plus $100 in gauges. so i guess saving a little over a grand, but losing automation and losing a lot of time piecing together my own system! and prob way more headache installing!) oh yeah, and either way i need a tank... hmmm maybe i need second job!!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburtual View Post
yeah, thats what i was kinda thinking,, DIY seems to be about 2k, vs V3 being $3200 for the kit, plus $100 in gauges. so i guess saving a little over a grand, but losing automation and losing a lot of time piecing together my own system! and prob way more headache installing!) oh yeah, and either way i need a tank... hmmm maybe i need second job!!
I priced it out and its around 2600$ piecing it together. Its the little things that nickel and dime you and you arent going to be able to go to just one store and get it all there. Greasecar is another option but you are going to definitely have to upgrade to a FASS pump.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yup, i was envisioning being knee deep installing a DIY and then missing some little $10 piece i gotta order online and wait 4 days for while the van sits inoperable in the driveway... and if that happens a few times, it sounds like a month long install!! i dont know anything bout the greasecar kits, havnt really looked into them
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburtual View Post
yup, i was envisioning being knee deep installing a DIY and then missing some little $10 piece i gotta order online and wait 4 days for while the van sits inoperable in the driveway... and if that happens a few times, it sounds like a month long install!! i dont know anything bout the greasecar kits, havnt really looked into them
simplest "kit" out there to install but you are going to have to upgrade your factory fuel pump to a FASS and install a flat plate heat exchanger for quicker switchover. I think they are around 2000$ now but it includes a 40 gallon tank. I ran mine with factory fuel pump but at 2300 miles it left me stranded in Cima, CA so I purchased a FASS. What I like about the Greasecar kit the most is that because of coil wrap around the filter I can walk away from truck for hours in summer time and the oil is still hot.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Do Greasecar kits still share the stock filter?? If so that is a very bad idea. Keep the fuels seperate up to the heads. Personally I would do a DIY before I would buy a GC kit.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the completely separate fuel system of the V3 is one of the main selling points for me, i really like that if the wvo goes down, i can still get home on diesel. it runs fine on diesel now, so i'd rather not screw with that side of things anymore than i have to!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Do Greasecar kits still share the stock filter?? If so that is a very bad idea. Keep the fuels seperate up to the heads. Personally I would do a DIY before I would buy a GC kit.
Greasecar has never shared the diesel filter. Its two seperate systems but what they share is the same pump so thats why I recommend a FASS. I think plantdrive might be the one you are thinking of.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i think im gonna go with a V3... seems to me the most robust and reliable system, and is sure to work better than a diy system that takes me forever to put together and install.. this will be my work van, so the sooner i'm running on grease, the sooner i'm saving $.. even if that means a bit more up front, it should pay for itself pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.