anyone running 50/50 WVO diesel mix without a conversion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone running 50/50 WVO diesel mix without a conversion?

i've recently picked up a 1999 E350 PSD 7.3 super duty and am gonna convert it to WVO!! i have 2 mercedes i've already been running on grease for many miles and have a centrifuge and lots of super clean no water oil.... but,,, im getting impatient on putting my wvo system together for the PSD, and dont have the funds$ to get started ;( ... i want to do a Vegistroke style CV system, but cant afford it quite yet..... i've heard of a few folks running 50/50 diesel and wvo in their PSD's stock tank without a conversion... seems tempting, would be nice to at least half my diesel consumption - I am in los angeles, so its plenty warm this time of year, but of course, dont want to f-up my new ride!
my oil is centrifuged and then filtered again to 2 micron before going in the tank, so im not worried about dirty oil clogging filters, more worried about unheated wvo in the stock fuel system....

any thoughts? anyone doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Great solution for the older mercedes in warm weather, but I don't think it's a great idea on the PSD. I don't think the stock pump is burly enough to handle that, and there is lots of concern about what happens when cold oil goes through the injectors. Main worry is poor spray pattern that leads to coking. These conversions don't have to be fancy, but I would wait to WVO in till you have a fuel system set up for it.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

From what I have seen and experienced its an ok idea but not for the stock pump. 50/50 is as high as I would go. Everyone looks at it as "thinning the VO with diesel" but in reality you are thickening the diesel with VO.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Some guys swear you can blend VO with D2 & others will scream at the top of their lungs that it will kill your engine. I have no personal experience with it but like Erbilabuc said you are thicking your fuel blend. Many guys are blending 80% VO & up to 20% RUG (regular unleaded gas) to reduce the viscosity of VO closer to diesel. Yes I said that right gas in your diesel. There are alot of guys running waste motor oil blended with RUG as well.

The only thing I can tell you is do alot of reading & then decide if you are willing to take the risk. I'm still on the fence about this topic. Your Mercedes would probably run just fine on a blend but PSD's are pricey to repair.

IMHO this is the wrong site to discuss blending. Search other PSD sites & look for RSR911 & Jeffery S Brookes. They have alot experience with blending.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wow, i;ve never heard of blending with unleaded gas! i think im gonna hold off on blending and just eat it with diesel til i get it converted.. get anxious to save more $ to do the conversion, but it would all be for nothing if i wreck the engine or fuel pump,etc
the old mercedes will run on 100% wvo in los angeles summertime without any conversion. i dont do it, but i know folks who do. on those cars its so easy to add heated injector lines, it ridiculous not to. you can covert a mercedes for $150 in parts, i originally had no idea converting the van was gonna take 25 times that!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

I run a 55% D2/ 40% veg / 5% RUG mix in my '02 f250 during the warm months of summer in WI. Runs just fine. My truck also has a full WVO conversion, but there's a lot of times in not partical for shorter trips so thats why I blend in summer. the RUG really thins the mix down and no negative affects. I have had no problems. I have run str. WVO & blends on my truck for the last 100K miles.
I'm curious: I'm gonna be pulling my injectors in the next couple weeks to replace them with stage 1's. I'm curious what they will look like. Not replacing because I'm having problems, more so as preventative maint. & an upgrade. Plus I've heard that the single shot will be much easier on my weak factory hpop.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM

Ill probarbly catch hell for saying this but i dont care, I run used filtered tranny fluid in my 6.0. I put 5-10 gallons of tranny fluid and fill the rest with diesel. No issues whatsoever to date and the truck runs just a little smoother and I do lose about 0.2 mpg. As long as its clean and the ambient temp is relatively high running WVO shouldnt be a problem at a 50/50 mix.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtuner View Post
I run a 55% D2/ 40% veg / 5% RUG mix in my '02 f250 during the warm months of summer in WI. Runs just fine. My truck also has a full WVO conversion, but there's a lot of times in not partical for shorter trips so thats why I blend in summer. the RUG really thins the mix down and no negative affects. I have had no problems. I have run str. WVO & blends on my truck for the last 100K miles.
I'm curious: I'm gonna be pulling my injectors in the next couple weeks to replace them with stage 1's. I'm curious what they will look like. Not replacing because I'm having problems, more so as preventative maint. & an upgrade. Plus I've heard that the single shot will be much easier on my weak factory hpop.
Please post pics of your injectors. Very curious to see how they look.

Why is a single shot easier on your HPOP?? I didn't know they was a problem on the 7.3 other then they leak sometimes.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Please post pics of your injectors. Very curious to see how they look.

Why is a single shot easier on your HPOP?? I didn't know they was a problem on the 7.3 other then they leak sometimes.
I will try and take some pics of the new vs. the old. I'm very curious as well.

The hpop in the 7.3L is barely enough for stock split shots inj under heavy load, after 200k miles the hpop gets weak. At this point I'm not willing to install a upgraded hpop as well. Now don't qoute me on this, what I'm told is that the single shot injectors don't use as much oil. I'm assuming this is because of the single injection event vs. dual(ie split).
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelman20 View Post
Ill probarbly catch hell for saying this but i dont care, I run used filtered tranny fluid in my 6.0. I put 5-10 gallons of tranny fluid and fill the rest with diesel. No issues whatsoever to date and the truck runs just a little smoother and I do lose about 0.2 mpg. As long as its clean and the ambient temp is relatively high running WVO shouldnt be a problem at a 50/50 mix.
I've run AFT in a blend as well, I've done WMO as a blend. It all burns fine, no problems or excess smoke. Like I said above though, I'm curious what my injectors will look like when I pull them out in a couple months. They are still functioning fine from what I can tell, I am noticing slightly lower gas mileage and some smoking at startup though the last year or so though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.