blue smoke while on wvo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blue smoke while on wvo

Ive got a 2000 f250 with a modified greasecar wvo conversion on it. I basically added a fass hd fuel pump to it and re arranged the valves a little bit. Its been running great for about the past 5000 miles but on this last batch of oil ive put in it when i go to switch over to wvo it will run for about a minute, then start coughing blue smoke heavily and losing all power, and if I dont switch back then it will just die and usually it takes a minute to get over it once I switch back. I dont have a centrifuge yet, but my filtering goes like this, I pour the oil into a 55 gallon drum through a 150 micron screen to filter any large particles,then I use an immersion heater to heat it to about 210+ for about an hour to help boil off any water, then i let it settle overnight and pump off any water that has setled to the bottom, I dothis until I can pass the hot pan test so I know theres no water in it. Once I can pass the test then I'll heat it back up to about 180* and filter it through a 10 micron filter, then through a 1 micron filter, and before it goes into my tank it goes through a goldenrod 10 micron filter. I dont a temp gauge on the truck at the moment, but I have a heated filter, hose in hose wvo lines, a heated tank, and a 30 plate heat exchanger right before it enters the heads, and it has been in the upper 90*s here lately. I do have a fuel presure gauge and I am maintaining a good 65 psi while ive been on wvo. After it did this the first time I pumped the oil out and reboiled and tested it for water, and re filtered it and put it back in the truck, tried again and the same thing. What could it be? Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM

Your VO and Diesel filter are separate? Does your fuel pump suck from or pump to the VO filter? Which Greasecar valves do you have?
it could be clogged filter or if you have the old greasecar valves (sv98 on the nice aluminum manifold) then the valves could be bad on the veggie side. One other thing it could be is cold oil. You really need a temp gauge to see whats going because sure that FASS will get you 60psi but doesnt mean the injectors are going to take it or like it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Yes the vo and diesel are completely separate. The fass is pushing fuel through the filter. I've checked both valves and they're working properly and they're the newer valves, and I've replaced the filter. I'll try to get a temp gauge and check it out
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM

sounds like temp issues. I have had a few cold starts and what you describe is what it does and I have 1 FASS also.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM

added a temp gauge today, and it took a few minutes to warm up and they were in the 160's so i switched over and the same thing. Could it just be bad oil? Ive been collecting from this restaurant for a while now and never had problems.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM

If oil was at 160 then that is really the only thing I can think of besides stuck or clogged valves but you said you have the new style of valves. Maybe a clogged filter?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM

thats what I thought at first but its deffinitely hot enough, i havent checked the valves, but my pressure gauge is plumbed in right before it enters the fuel rails, after the valves and filter, and the filter is brand new.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiller View Post
thats what I thought at first but its deffinitely hot enough, i havent checked the valves, but my pressure gauge is plumbed in right before it enters the fuel rails, after the valves and filter, and the filter is brand new.
if you still have the greasecar manifold then remember that the fuel pressure regulator will still allow the veg or diesel system to build up 55ish psi and then it will open up but you say that filter is new and it doesnt do it on veggie oil so thats out of the question. Do you know what the gauge is reading when you switch from diesel to veggie oil and vice versa? Since you bought this oil then try setting about half a gallon of oil on fire and see what it smells like. There might be something in the oil you dont know about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.