Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

blue smoke while on wvo

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  erbilabuc 
#1 ·
Ive got a 2000 f250 with a modified greasecar wvo conversion on it. I basically added a fass hd fuel pump to it and re arranged the valves a little bit. Its been running great for about the past 5000 miles but on this last batch of oil ive put in it when i go to switch over to wvo it will run for about a minute, then start coughing blue smoke heavily and losing all power, and if I dont switch back then it will just die and usually it takes a minute to get over it once I switch back. I dont have a centrifuge yet, but my filtering goes like this, I pour the oil into a 55 gallon drum through a 150 micron screen to filter any large particles,then I use an immersion heater to heat it to about 210+ for about an hour to help boil off any water, then i let it settle overnight and pump off any water that has setled to the bottom, I dothis until I can pass the hot pan test so I know theres no water in it. Once I can pass the test then I'll heat it back up to about 180* and filter it through a 10 micron filter, then through a 1 micron filter, and before it goes into my tank it goes through a goldenrod 10 micron filter. I dont a temp gauge on the truck at the moment, but I have a heated filter, hose in hose wvo lines, a heated tank, and a 30 plate heat exchanger right before it enters the heads, and it has been in the upper 90*s here lately. I do have a fuel presure gauge and I am maintaining a good 65 psi while ive been on wvo. After it did this the first time I pumped the oil out and reboiled and tested it for water, and re filtered it and put it back in the truck, tried again and the same thing. What could it be? Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
Your VO and Diesel filter are separate? Does your fuel pump suck from or pump to the VO filter? Which Greasecar valves do you have?
it could be clogged filter or if you have the old greasecar valves (sv98 on the nice aluminum manifold) then the valves could be bad on the veggie side. One other thing it could be is cold oil. You really need a temp gauge to see whats going because sure that FASS will get you 60psi but doesnt mean the injectors are going to take it or like it.

#3 ·
Yes the vo and diesel are completely separate. The fass is pushing fuel through the filter. I've checked both valves and they're working properly and they're the newer valves, and I've replaced the filter. I'll try to get a temp gauge and check it out

#8 ·
if you still have the greasecar manifold then remember that the fuel pressure regulator will still allow the veg or diesel system to build up 55ish psi and then it will open up but you say that filter is new and it doesnt do it on veggie oil so thats out of the question. Do you know what the gauge is reading when you switch from diesel to veggie oil and vice versa? Since you bought this oil then try setting about half a gallon of oil on fire and see what it smells like. There might be something in the oil you dont know about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.