Can a messed up batch be saved? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can a messed up batch be saved?

I tried something different this weekend and messed up a 40 gallon batch. I am not sure where I went wrong. I have yet to test the oil for water so that may have been the issue not sure. I did the titration test and we have our lye pre measured out to about 500 grams. The test called out for around 480 something per 20 gallons so I just put in two of the 500 gram containers, so technically I was probably over about 40 grams of lye give or take. I also made a mistake with the Methanol, I should have put 8 gallons in but it ended up being more like 9 gallons. The only thing that I did really different than my buddy that uses the same processor to make his biodiesel was I made a methoxide injection tank (he used the lid where he puts the lye in the lid and hand pumps the methanol into the lid where it mixes and drops down), I took a 15 gallon drum, welded on 2 barbs, put a blue HF pump on it with a "T" on the out port and two valves so I could leave it on recirculate for mixing the methanol and lye, and then crack the other one open to slowly introduce it to the biodiesel processor while that tank was also on circulate so the methoxide and WVO would mix. After taking about 1/2 hr to introduce the methoxide I reset the switch on the processor pump and let it run its cycle mixing. I let it set for 24 hours and no glycerin settled at all so the batch must not have reacted. Now I have about 40 gallons of what looks like WVO and 4 gallons of white foamy stuff ON TOP of that....? Can this batch be saved or throw it on the fire? I do not currently make mini batches but am buying the stuff to start today. My oil was heated to 120 degrees also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
500 grams for 40 gal sounds light to me. what did your titration come too?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 AM

If I recall correct I think it was 2.9 then I compare that to my chart to get the amount of lye, but I am at work now and do not have the chart with me. I am looking for one online right now.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 AM

heat it more until the foamy stuff mixes in then recirculate again. You didnt have it hot enough so it might start to look like mayonaise by now.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM

so pump the entire thing back into my heating tank and get it up to 120 again? When I heated it up initially it took about 45 min to pump it all in (have a bad collapsed hose) so could it have cooled down too much in that amount of time? now reheat it up and then pump it back into the processor and just put it on circulate?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM

Kitchen Biodiesel - Biodiesel Calculator

also i usaully heat to 130-135F before hitting it with cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.