couple questions on solenoid valves and fuel pump wirirng - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
couple questions on solenoid valves and fuel pump wirirng

Hey guys-I was interested in building a simple manual system, was hoping someone could school me on solenoid valve placement, and how you're shutting down your factory pumps-just cutting power when the vegie pump is energized? I'd like to use my upfitter switches to power the vegie pump/shut down the factory pump-anyone doing this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
Hey guys-I was interested in building a simple manual system, was hoping someone could school me on solenoid valve placement, and how you're shutting down your factory pumps-just cutting power when the vegie pump is energized? I'd like to use my upfitter switches to power the vegie pump/shut down the factory pump-anyone doing this?

Thanks!
What year truck do you have?? Need to know in order to help you.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM

lol-sorry. I have a 2005 6.0.

I figured I need check valves for the d2 lines in the front, and to remove the plugs in the rear of the heads to put new lines for the wvo. Where I'm a bit confused is where the solenoid valves come into play. I guess I can cut the power to my fuel pump with a switch, and then power on the fass pump I intend to use for the wvo, but I'd like to find a way to do that with one switch-I know the concept is the same for the 7.3, with the main differences for the 6.0 being in the plumbing. I'm a blank canvas right now-School me!

(I'm new to wvo, but not to wrenching)

Lets hear it!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM

and I was REALLY wanting to use a cab and chassis aft mount tank for my wvo rather than a bed mounted unit-I have a STUPID shortbox, so bed space is at a premium.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM

You don't need to use any soleniod valves for switching fuels just one in your VO conversion for purging. I used a 2 relay setup for turning the D2 pump off & the VO pump on. This is a diagram of how to set up these relays dual pump relay 2 - Forums. This relay setup keeps power going to the PCM so you don't get a code.

Yes you do need check valves for the D2 lines & use the plugged ports to connect your VO lines. You will also need a CV in the VO system located just after your VO filter. The conversion for the 6.0 is exactly the same as the 7.3 with the expection of where the plugged ports are for the VO lines & I think where you tap into the heater hoses is a bit different. Go to Biofueltechnoligies. They have a installation manual you can download which shows you where to tap into the coolant lines & how to install the VO lines.

Some keys to successfully running VO are keeping the fuels seperate until they get to the heads. This means a complete second VO system. Tank, fuel lines, pump, filter & you should have a FPHE as well. Never switch to VO until the truck is up to operating temp & purge & then run the truck for a min or 2 to flush the heads of VO & burn up the VO in the injectors before shutting down. Never idle on VO for extended periods of time.

Hopefully this answers some your questions. I`m sure you will have more so don`t be shy about asking.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM

what is to stop the #2 from mixing with the wvo without check valves on the rear banjo's as well? and, a bit more of an explanation into the solenoid valve usage would be very helpful (maybe a recomendation on brand/supplier)

and the only other question I have is-CV? pardon my ignorance.

I intend to only use the WVO setup on trips-the majority of my driving will be on #2

Other than that, I think I have a good grasp on this.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Only thing I have to add is try and find someone local that has done it. Even if it is a different vehicle all together it will help a ton because the theory in a 2 tank system is the same.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 PM

I get the whole-never mix the fuels-concept. I intend to have a completely seperate tank, pump, lines, etc. Never will the two fuels ever co-exist, with the exception of in the heads during purging.

The only thing I'm still a bit fuzzy on is the solenoid valve for purging. That is where I need assistance!

Thanks guys
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 AM

that solenoid could go on the wvo side, before the cv. basically have it open with a momentary switch while you are running d2. this would allow a return to the wvo side (preferably right before the wvo pump with a tee) keep it open for a few seconds then shut it off. you would want a normally closed valve, and put either a regualtor or small ball valve opened slightly to keep your fuel pressure while purging.

this is one of many options. guys who have done a DIY purge may have some better ideas.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm not going to need check valves on the rear of the heads for the wvo as well as the d2 am I?

So the solenoid valve will open to allow d2 to push the wvo back out of the heads to speed up purging. a ball valve will be installed so as not to lose all fuel pressure. Is that about right? Looking forward to suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.