A few questions.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A few questions....

So a month and a half ago i picked up a 95 7.3l F250 with 2 tanks....Id like to be able to dump WVO into the rear one.....can someone tell me what items im going to need to make this happen and possibly point me to a schematic that will show be what changes im going to need to make in the fuel delivery system/fuel line evacuation modifications? thanks..
freak out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It scares me when anyone says "dump wvo into fuel tank". If you didn't mean it this way, my apologies for the insult. The WVO must be thoroughly cleaned first. OK. Now the problem with using stock tanks are the increased risk of polymerzation of the oil based on the reaction of common tank materials, namely raw or galvanized steel used in fuel tanks. The ****-sure material to use for a tank is aluminum or stainless steel. Some stock tanks happen to be plastic and those are ok too.

Your truck has a mechanical lift pump which is a good, strong pump. There are configurations which take advantage of this pump and your looped return fuel configuration.

Have you searched the forums? There's a lot of threads here and other sites that you can glean schematics and conversion info from.

Jason J

Last edited by shu873; 04-29-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: edited out link
Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 AM

be sure you can collect oil. try and get 100 gallons or more on hand first so you know you have suppliers. plan your filtering, preferably a gravity centrifuge.

i have a 95 as well.

the PO converted the truck. he used a cheap kit, it ran two years and never had a fuel system mod. it was basically a coolant heated filter head spliced into the line. front tank was the veg tank. it ran great for about two years then quit pulling veg, the tank was unheated, and the pickup is clogged, probably with poly. i did fill the tank with warm oil fwiw. warm oil accelerates poly.

i now have a dual electric fuel system, D2 side and Veg side. mechanical pump and fuel bowl deleted, HIH, check valve switched, 105 gallon in bed tank, and still non-functional front tank.

here is my suggestion having been there. if you have the cash, go electric. use the soon to come OBS conversion posts that myself and Aaron about about to provide. Aarons will be prettier.

the problem with the stock fuel system is the fact that veg and D2 mix in the fuel bowl. this never really flushes properly. mine worked for two years and the motor seems ok, but i would not suggest it. especially with pics i (we) have seen. Aaron in particular. mine never got that bad.

you can however make it work, like Jason stated. you will need to modify the lines from the pump to the bowl with a solenoid of some sort. so wvo doesnt get into your bowl. but in the end, electric is probably best.

the install was really easy hoenstly, at least i thought so. expirience may vary. my biggest problem was time and interruptions. and poor choice in the first round of check valves. it took over a month of an hour here and an hour there with minimal tools. like everyone else thats done a kit or DIY, with all or most supplies on hand, i could probably do it again in a weekend with a buddy.

where do you live? climate will also be a contributing factor on supplies and converion needs.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 04-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
be sure you can collect oil. try and get 100 gallons or more on hand first so you know you have suppliers. plan your filtering, preferably a gravity centrifuge.

i have a 95 as well.

the PO converted the truck. he used a cheap kit, it ran two years and never had a fuel system mod. it was basically a coolant heated filter head spliced into the line. front tank was the veg tank. it ran great for about two years then quit pulling veg, the tank was unheated, and the pickup is clogged, probably with poly. i did fill the tank with warm oil fwiw. warm oil accelerates poly.

i now have a dual electric fuel system, D2 side and Veg side. mechanical pump and fuel bowl deleted, HIH, check valve switched, 105 gallon in bed tank, and still non-functional front tank.

here is my suggestion having been there. if you have the cash, go electric. use the soon to come OBS conversion posts that myself and Aaron about about to provide. Aarons will be prettier.

the problem with the stock fuel system is the fact that veg and D2 mix in the fuel bowl. this never really flushes properly. mine worked for two years and the motor seems ok, but i would not suggest it. especially with pics i (we) have seen. Aaron in particular. mine never got that bad.

you can however make it work, like Jason stated. you will need to modify the lines from the pump to the bowl with a solenoid of some sort. so wvo doesnt get into your bowl. but in the end, electric is probably best.

the install was really easy hoenstly, at least i thought so. expirience may vary. my biggest problem was time and interruptions. and poor choice in the first round of check valves. it took over a month of an hour here and an hour there with minimal tools. like everyone else thats done a kit or DIY, with all or most supplies on hand, i could probably do it again in a weekend with a buddy.

where do you live? climate will also be a contributing factor on supplies and converion needs.
Yep ditto on what RN said... I was planning on having a custom aluminum tank fabbed up to fit in place of the rear tank. I ended up picking up the exact tank i was going to build here on the ORG and a truck came with it for FREE!!! Ha Ha only kidding, here is a few shots of my tank.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM

I use the the stock tank for SVO. Used it for 60k miles now, been fine.

The mechanical lift pump on OBS fords is crap for SVO. You definitely want to switch to an electric fuel system. Beyond that, an SVO conversion, however you want to do it. You need the oil to be warm (100+) before it hits the heads. After that, the head will act like a nice big heat exchanger to do the final heating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.