Hard Time Finding Used Veggie Oil... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hard Time Finding Used Veggie Oil...

My buddy has a biodiesel processor and makes his own fuel. We decided we would go in on it with eachother but I have to provide my own oil and I am finding that to be about impossible! All of the local places in town are already taken up by 1 person. Would it be ethical to offer to "buy" the used oil from these places and if so how much does one pay? Looking for some input or ideas.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
live by the rule of patronise the patron. These days you cant go in expecting it for free. Go to a local place that you frequently eat at. Whats that you say? "I dont frequently eat anywhere". Even then if you eat there it might be difficult. One of my sources told me that i needed to start giving him 5$ per cubie if I still wanted it. I told him thanks very not much and stopped visiting his restaurant. I ate there twice a week and this place was a hole in the wall. I have two sources that treat me well with about 15 gallons a week and thats all I need. Right now I have about 250 gallons on reserve. Once you do get a source do what you can to get them business and I mean anything and everything.

where do you live at?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM

Check out good grease too. There are quite a few listings out there getting rid of wvo.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmatc2 View Post
My buddy has a biodiesel processor and makes his own fuel. We decided we would go in on it with eachother but I have to provide my own oil and I am finding that to be about impossible! All of the local places in town are already taken up by 1 person. Would it be ethical to offer to "buy" the used oil from these places and if so how much does one pay? Looking for some input or ideas.... Thanks!
If I could not find oil I would have no problem offering to buy oil from anyone. As long as your not stealing it then I don't see a problem with it. You might even consider calling this guy & see if you can buy some from him. If you can work out a reasonable price then that may be your easiest way short term but I would continue to look for your own sources long term.

Have you looked everywhere? I have at least 3 other guys in my area running veg plus the render picking up from the large joints & I have had no problem getting oil. I made up buisness cards & pass them out. Makes you look more serious & professional IMHO.

Keep at it & eventually it will pay off.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM

When I 1st started I struck out at every place. But I kept going and kept asking.

I now have more than I need. Just be persistent and pleasant. And I don't mean keep asking the same joint. Keep trying every restaurant and kitchen.

After a yr, I'm going back to the places that turned me down before, and will be asking again. Some greasers just don't stick around long.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Also, don't ask for the oil unless your truly ready to collect on a consistent basis. When I first started looking for oil, the biggest problem I had was that some previous veg collector told them the same story but never fulfilled the promise of picking up the oil regularly. Now the biggest problem is the rise in fuel prices have caused more ethanol production, causing higher corn prices. Large scale cattle factories are now buying alot more cleaned wvo for feed because it costs less then corn. There is a grease rendering company in my area that is paying roughly $1.32 for the dirty stuff. Keep at it, be the local, dependable guy. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschaffer View Post
Also, don't ask for the oil unless your truly ready to collect on a consistent basis. When I first started looking for oil, the biggest problem I had was that some previous veg collector told them the same story but never fulfilled the promise of picking up the oil regularly. Now the biggest problem is the rise in fuel prices have caused more ethanol production, causing higher corn prices. Large scale cattle factories are now buying alot more cleaned wvo for feed because it costs less then corn. There is a grease rendering company in my area that is paying roughly $1.32 for the dirty stuff. Keep at it, be the local, dependable guy. Good luck.
Very good advice.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all of the advice guys!! I spent a few hours Friday calling around and actually ended up finally calling the guy that is getting everyones around my area, I just asked where he WAS NOT getting oil and he laughed. He gave me a few pointers and he is collecting 500-800 gallons a month, filtering it, and selling it for $3.12 a gallon to a place and was not interested in selling any or giving any up. So I kept calling and was finally able to score some. A guy about 60 miles away has 300 gallons because just recently stopped making it, another has 80 gallons, and then I scored a few smaller places around the area. Now I have the problem of my buddy not getting back to me about making it together so I might have 400+ gallons to process and no processor lol! I am thinking about buying this biodiesel processor. What do you think? biodiesel, Biobuddy Biobuddy 53gal it looks pretty straight forward and I can get one off E-bay shipped for $1,500.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmatc2 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys!! I spent a few hours Friday calling around and actually ended up finally calling the guy that is getting everyones around my area, I just asked where he WAS NOT getting oil and he laughed. He gave me a few pointers and he is collecting 500-800 gallons a month, filtering it, and selling it for $3.12 a gallon to a place and was not interested in selling any or giving any up. So I kept calling and was finally able to score some. A guy about 60 miles away has 300 gallons because just recently stopped making it, another has 80 gallons, and then I scored a few smaller places around the area. Now I have the problem of my buddy not getting back to me about making it together so I might have 400+ gallons to process and no processor lol! I am thinking about buying this biodiesel processor. What do you think? biodiesel, Biobuddy Biobuddy 53gal it looks pretty straight forward and I can get one off E-bay shipped for $1,500.
have you considered just burning straight veggie oil? for more money you can get a good veggie kit from many manufacturers and dont have to mess with the bio. Your 7.3 gets 15mpg so I suggest making bio at 80 gallon batches to keep up with your truck.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM

I had though about that but I only plan on having this actual truck for another 2 years and then getting another lower mileage cummins. Currently I am getting 21.8 MPG driving back and forth to work, but that is with all of my mods, before that I was getting 13mpg and after the air intake and exhaust I went up to 19mpg, then after the SCT chip I can get 21mpg all day on 60hp setting when not hauling anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.