Centrifuge motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Centrifuge motor

I've been saving up to build a centrifuge, I'm going to begin with the poboy kit from Leon. I see that most motors are pretty pricey, but I was wondering if anyone ever thought about using the motor from a grinder, I can get a brand new grinder from harbor freight with a 3/4 hp motor, 3450 rpm, and 5/8" shaft for $45 with a two year warranty. I don't see why it wouldn't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 AM

check your shaft length, thats the only thing that comes to mind. i was wonderinga bout this too.

i found a local motor being sold as used, but is actually new for $25. ill probbaly pick that up this week. in either case, i would like to know how a grinder motor would work as well...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM

As the product of a father that remanufactures a/c condensers and evaporators I can tell you that if it says 3450rpm then its not enough. 3450 constant rpm is max duty cycle for that thing and with weight of oil it will drop it down. If you can get a faster one then go for it since you are getting it so cheap anyways. Look into Grainger for references but thats all because their motors are super expensive chinese made.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Most centrifuges i have looked at are using the 3450 motors
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Most centrifuges i have looked at are using the 3450 motors
Yep that would apply if MPiller was talking about the motor you are talking about but he is talking about the grinder model that has 3/4 hp but provides minimum torque. Bench grinders carry little torque in case you jam a piece of metal in the machine it doesnt burn up the motor fast and simply stalls without overheating long enough to either turn grinder off or dislodge the item.

does this make sense now? You really can stop a bench grinder with your hand if you are willing to sacrifice some cuts.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That makes perfect sense... The way your post reads it seemed you were saying that 3450rpms wasn't enough.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Ya I never thought about that. I guess I was thinking of my own grinder which takes quite a bit of force to even begin slowing it down, but then again its not a $45 grinder from hf. Thats the highest rpm one they sell, what if I set it up with pullies so that it spun 6900 rpm and if it lost a little it wouldn't be a big deal?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiller View Post
Ya I never thought about that. I guess I was thinking of my own grinder which takes quite a bit of force to even begin slowing it down, but then again its not a $45 grinder from hf. Thats the highest rpm one they sell, what if I set it up with pullies so that it spun 6900 rpm and if it lost a little it wouldn't be a big deal?
sure, anything is possible with a little science. It will take a tiny little bit to get it going but once its going it will be good.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiller View Post
Once you start adding pulleys and belts your vibration will increase. Which isn't a good thing when spinning the nasty stuff.

I would be more inclined to wait and find a higher hp motor for the right price.

I've heard ALLOT of stories of off kilter vibrating disasters with oil centrifuges.

Find your self some junked up old woodworking machines with 3hp 220v motors

And post your location
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
Once you start adding pulleys and belts your vibration will increase. Which isn't a good thing when spinning the nasty stuff.
You're mistaken. You're saying that removing a direct-drive, rigid-mount, high-rpm hard shaft coupling will have less structural vibration than a system that offsets the motor from the final drive shaft by means of pulleys on bearing shafts, and power transmitted via a belt? Ask yourself, why did some motorcycle manufacturers opt for belt drive systems over shaft or chain, which are inherently more durable?

I think you'd better pick up a high school shop text and start reading.

Quote:
I would be more inclined to wait and find a higher hp motor for the right price.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
I've heard ALLOT of stories of off kilter vibrating disasters with oil centrifuges.
Yes, a rigidly mounted motor of this rotational velocity and power will certainly induce quite a bad vibration if forced to spin something that is not properly balanced.

Quote:
Find your self some junked up old woodworking machines with 3hp 220v motors
Exactly. My table saw uses a large 3450 RPM motor... connected to the blade shaft by means of a belt. Not only does it make for good power transfer, it also reduces vibration. Yes, I'm sure SOME power and torque is lost in the process, but given that I can put a 2" thick plank through it at a good clip, I'm not terribly worried about it.

My system WILL have a belt drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.