Processed veg. oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Processed veg. oil

Ok, I designed the system with the hot water tank, etc. Have oil going thru a 600, 400, 200, 100, 75 micron filter into the holding tank.
Next it goes through a 30 micron and then a 5 micron filter and into the hot water tank. Heat it for about 4 hours or so (110) and then allow to cool.
I then am taking some oil off of the bottom of the tank and then sending it thru the filters for about 1/2 hour or so. Next it goes thru a water block filter and into a tank ready to go into the truck.

Here is the problem. The oil brown looking...should it be?
Problem #2 is I have read on here about the hot pan test. When I do that to the processed oil, is does sizzlel, but not a huge amount. Is that ok or do you not want any sizzling at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the oil color will vary.

ideal no sizzle at all. and a 'little' sizzle is relative. a few cracks and pops wont hurt anything, too much will. can you get a vid of this?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't know. May have to get some coaching on how to put it up, but I will try. I do have one idea. I could put some in a clear container. If the oil is without water, there should be no separation if left over night, is that correct? If there is separation, it would mean there is still too much water I assume and I need to pour more off of the bottom.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One thing I am not sure of is with the water heater.

How long or what temp does the oil need to be at before I start taking oil out of the bottom of the tank.
One of the sticky's said to take 3 or 4 gallons off of the bottom. I may not be taking enough off as I took about 2 off. Never really saw much of a change in color or thickness?? Perhaps I am not waiting enough to let it cool enough. By the way, I heated it for about 4 hours, is that enouth heat?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM

imho, i would get it up to 150*F or preferably 180*F, let it settle a few hours with no heat to reduce convection. then drain the bottom 2 to 4 gallons.

yes, if you put the oil in a jar, hot, then let is settle a day or two you might see seperation, just depends on if its enough water to see easily with the nanked eye.

thats quite the setup you have going. and reason you didnt go with a cf?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM

When I was 1st starting, I put some oil in a sample jar. It was good to go for about 2 wks. Then I walked out into the shop one day and found the bottom 2inches to be all murky.

I have since extended my settling times, and the amount of oil that I drain off the bottom. I settle in heated 55 gallon drums, and then drain 5-10 gallons off the bottom and return it to the restaurants.

My oil color varies also, mostly it's darker. I think it has to do with how long it was cooked before I got it.

Pictures of everything in my sig link.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
imho, i would get it up to 150*F or preferably 180*F, let it settle a few hours with no heat to reduce convection. then drain the bottom 2 to 4 gallons.

yes, if you put the oil in a jar, hot, then let is settle a day or two you might see seperation, just depends on if its enough water to see easily with the nanked eye.

thats quite the setup you have going. and reason you didnt go with a cf?
Ok. May need to heat it more. Only heating to 140.

Didn't go with a cf because I read on here not necessary for vo, wondering...also $. Trying to go cheep as possible for now. May add one later.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 AM

a cf gets the oil cleaner and drier than about any other method. i dont have one yet eitehr. but one is in the plans without question. im sick if filters, spills, filters, waiting, filters.

id try a bit more heat like you say. but i would also start a cf fund.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Generally speaking, clean used wvo should look somewhat like iced tea. Definitely not murky or cloudy.

Yeah, a cf will do a better job than a water heater and bag filter set up. I'm not running one yet, but it's on my wish list.

Couple of points for consideration:

1) Heat the oil to 140* or better in the water heater for 4 hours.
2) Turn the heat off and let the oil cool a minimum of 48 hours (roughly 100*). The longer it sits and cools, the more water / crud will settle out.
3) Drain 3-5 gallons off the bottom at this time
4) If you need to heat the oil again (oil is thick), heat it to 100* and then push it through your filter. If my oil is under 85*, I'll heat it back up to 100*.

How many miles do you usually get out of the wvo filter on the vehicle?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Generally speaking, clean used wvo should look somewhat like iced tea. Definitely not murky or cloudy.

Yeah, a cf will do a better job than a water heater and bag filter set up. I'm not running one yet, but it's on my wish list.

Couple of points for consideration:

1) Heat the oil to 140* or better in the water heater for 4 hours.
2) Turn the heat off and let the oil cool a minimum of 48 hours (roughly 100*). The longer it sits and cools, the more water / crud will settle out.
3) Drain 3-5 gallons off the bottom at this time
4) If you need to heat the oil again (oil is thick), heat it to 100* and then push it through your filter. If my oil is under 85*, I'll heat it back up to 100*.

How many miles do you usually get out of the wvo filter on the vehicle?
I am just getting started and am trying to get some oil processed and stored up ahead of time. At present, I don't have enough oil recourses to go ahead with the total system. I'll get the oil processing figured out, and then when I have enough on hand to warrent a system for the truck, I'll figure out how to pay for it. I am glad I did it this way, because I would have been tempted to go ahead and put it in the truck and I don't think it is ready yet.
Gotta get all of the leaks out of the system, (pretty well have that done now) and then get the oil stored up also.

Right now I only have about 45 to 50 gallons coming in per month. I can't find recourses for oil because a guy already has all of the restaurants taken up. I have to find new ones, before he gets to them. That is going to take a while as you know, new restaurants don't pop up every day.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them and see what happens. I definitely have not been letting the oil cool for any 48 hours. More like 8. That is probably the problem, not letting it settle enough...and not heating enough as I put the temp. to 140. I just got thru moving the temp up to about 175. It has been heating for two hours now. I'll turn it off in two hours for a total of 4 hours of heating and then will bleed it off on Friday. That outa do it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.