W85/WMO follow up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
W85/WMO follow up

I just sent this to a member who had some questions and thought I should share my findings so far with everyone else, so here you go.

So far I've run about 60 gallons of W85 through my truck at about 15 mpg's works out to about 900 miles. However, I have run about 150 gallons of WMO mixed with D2 through my truck before I started running W85.

I have noticed the last batch of W85 I mixed up the RUG didn't mix entirely with the WMO, I believe this is because I didn't stir the mixture up well enough. My current source fills up 30 gallon barrels and sends me home with them, but I asked him to leave me room for about 4.5 gallons so I can fill the barrel up at the pump and hopefully get a more consistent mixture.

I noticed this because my truck acted like it was starting to gel up, it wasn't cold enough to gel so I new the RUG hadn't mixed well enough and that I wasn getting mainly oil and the oil pump couldn't feed the motor enough fuel to take off like it would normally do.

I haven't plugged a filter yet, but I replaced both filters about 2000 miles ago because it had been a while since I had done it.

I built a centrifuge for about $400 and use that to filter out any of the bad junk in the oil that I might get. My CF only does about 3 gallons an hour so its kind of a slow process, will probably end up putting a larger nozzle on the barrel this summer so I can feed it faster.

Simple arithmetic is how I figure out how much RUG I need in the blend (e.g. if I have 30 gallons of oil I use the equation 30/.85=X/.15 and solve for X getting X=(30/.85)*.15 and then X=5.29). So I need to mix in 5.29 gallons of RUG with 30 gallons of WMO to get the right mixture. I wouldn't be afraid to run it if it wasn't exact but I wouldn't thin it out too much. Not getting enough RUG isn't that big of an issue because it would be like running a WMO/D2 blend.

I do not run synthetic because I have heard it doesn't burn, but all oil burns eventually so it must be something in the molecules that doesn't allow it to break down. Anyways I do not burn synthetic.

I do burn ATF and haven't tried hydralic fluid but am not afraid to try, just haven't received any yet from any of my suppliers. My father in law has some for me to take home next time I'm out there though so we'll see how it goes when I get my hands on some.

With all this being said I have researched and researched quiet a bit and haven't really found anything wrong with burning WMO or W85, as long as it is cleaned properly, other than people saying don't do this or I talked to my mechanic and he said he would never do it to his truck... Well guess what? My dad was the head Ford mechanic at the local shop for 10 years and was the only guy that worked on diesels around here. He now is an instructor in advanced diesel out at WYOTech and doesn't see any issues as long as the blend is cleaned.

You will always find information on forums but who knows if the people giving the information no what they are really talking about? Anyone can get on a forum and give their opinion but thats all that it is. If you're curious about it I highly recommend you give it a try. Its very satisfying driving by the pump every morning and seeing prices currently at $4.00 a gallon and climbing and knowing that you are saving tons of money.

Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Keep this updated. I have been doing wvo for a while and my good source has dried up. I have a buddy with access to lots of atf so I am thinking of messing with that some.

Why RUG and not d2 to blend the mix?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Theory is that RUG is lighter then D2 so it is a better thining agent. It is also cheaper then D2. Well it's supposed to be anyway. You can use D2 but RUG appears to do a better job.

If you are serious about WMO/AFT etc check out this site Bio-Diesel and Alternative Fuels - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Alot fo good info & guys on this site. I have been spending alot of time over there & I have gone from beening completely against WMO/AFT to now most likely going to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.