NEW TO BIO WITH TONS OF QUESTIONS?????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW TO BIO WITH TONS OF QUESTIONS??????

My best friend has a 7.3L powerstoke the other day he started talking about running V.O. in his truck so he got some used oil from a friend of ours resturant filtered it threw a 5 micro filter & mixed it with regular diesel fuel from the pump & drove off I havent heard from him yet to hear how it worked but does anyone know if thats a good idea to do. Also I have a 2005 6.0L that I would like to start running this mixture in it but want to make sure this is a good idea first? I have tryed doing resource of this but everything online I find is people mixing the oil with methonal & other chemicals before running it n there trucks. So all Im looking to do is filter the crap out of the oil & mix it with regular diesel fuel is this a good idea or bad idea???? And does anyone know if Im safe doing a 50/50 mix or should I do less or more???? TIPS AND ADVISE PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

no. bad idea.

the methanol thing you mention is actual biodiesel conversion, which is perfectly fine however.

it is a bad idea to mix. the proper way is to run a conversion kit. start on diesel to warm up, run vo, and stop on diesel to flush the fuel system of the vo. the vo is put in a second coolant heated tank to reduce viscosity. there are numerous accounts of damage from mixing the two and cold starting and idleing. you can however mix D2 and VO in a heated tank.

some people will tell you its ok, some dont ahve issue. or at least not yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Agree with above.

If you're going to do this, either make biodiesel and blend that with your diesel or make/buy a conversion kit and run svo. You're playing with fire if you don't.

Furthermore, simply running vo through a bag filter isn't nearly enough to make it safe to run. There's a good reason that people are spending hard earned money on equipment to filter and dewater their oil.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought it was possible to run on V.O. mixtures without doing a complete "conversion" which is what I was thinking. So is there a way to run off V.O. with out having to do a seperate tank & lines & switches or no?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thanks snake I found another website that helped exsplain this alittle better to me than my friend did. I was thinking that biodiesel was V.O. & diesel mixed but biodiesel is actually the methonal & other mixtures mixed with V.O. & then mixed with diesel & then put threw the truck. CORRECT????
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM

you are correct sir!

the only proper way to run VO is with a conversion.

you can blend any amount of bio with D2 you want, or just B100.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikecoburn03 View Post
I thought it was possible to run on V.O. mixtures without doing a complete "conversion" which is what I was thinking. So is there a way to run off V.O. with out having to do a seperate tank & lines & switches or no?
It will run, but you're expediting the failure of your motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikecoburn03 View Post
ok thanks snake I found another website that helped exsplain this alittle better to me than my friend did. I was thinking that biodiesel was V.O. & diesel mixed but biodiesel is actually the methonal & other mixtures mixed with V.O. & then mixed with diesel & then put threw the truck. CORRECT????
Yessir. Bio is essentially wvo, methanol, and lye. You'll see it called B5, B20, B50, B100, etc.. The number refers to the percentage of bio in a biodiesel / diesel blend. B100 is 100% biodiesel. B50 is a mixture of 50% biodiesel, 50% diesel.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

There are some engines that you can mix SVO with D2 & dump it in your tank & go. Your 6.0 is NOT one of them. If you value your engine & don't want to empty your pocket book fixing it then either make bio or put a second tank system in & heat the VO.

Your driving habits will determine which way to go. Have alot of short drives ( 10-20 k miles or less) then bio is for you. Alot of longer drives then I would strongly suggest going SVO. Bio is a pain in the but to make IMHO & requires the use of dangerous chemicals to make it. With SVO you filter & dewater it by heating settling or centrifuging Dump in your heated conversion tank system & your done. I prefer centrifuge over heat & settle.

Before you do anything have you found a source of VO? That's the first thing you need to do. Everything else doesn't matter if you can't get any oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.