New to all of this..Few questions?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to all of this..Few questions??

Hey guys. I have been doing alot of reading on Vegetable Oil Conversion system for a diesel truck. I feel pretty confident I can build a decent filling station with some kind of WVO Centrifuge. I think I like the “Raw Power Centrifuge”. Also I live in a small town right outside of Memphis TN and there are several restaurants near the town square that in live next to. Also I have a few friends that own restaurants so I don’t think getting oil will be a problem. My problem is I have never owned or know that much about diesels. I’ve been reading about them but its overwhelming. I drive a 2007 CrewMax Tundra right now. I only have to pull a small trailer every now and then but I definitely need a truck bed. I have been looking at dealerships around Memphis for a decent truck and seems like the only diesels that are in my price range around here are the 06’s and 08’s. Do y’all prefer one over the other for a Vegistroke V3 setup and what are some things I should look out for? Or is this just too foolish for me to try? I know its probably risky on my part being that I don't know much but I can’t stand paying these soaring gas prices. Plus this kind of stuff has always intrigued me not to mention it will drive my wife insane....HA!
Thanks in advance for any advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

to get into it right now and your main (not sole) purpose is for gas prices then Im not sure its right for you. If you are serious about it then go collect 500 gallons of oil and when you have that sitting at your house then ask whatever question you want because all of the information on everything is pretty much out there but finding oil isn't.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Drives my wife insane as well.

You need to make sure that you have at least one oil source lined up before you do anything. No point in doing anything else unless you can get oil.

I assume you are looking for a Powerstroke but Cummins runs VO real good also.

06-08 Hmmn. The 06 is a 6.0 for sure. The 08 may be a 6.4. Can't remember for sure when the 6.4 came out. The 6.4 is being VO tested by BFT( Vegistroke) but they do not have a kit available yet. They do have one for the 6.0. You should be aware though that the 6.0 has a very bad reputation. Ford has had many problems with the 6.0 over the years & the problems have nothing to do with running VO. That said there are guys having good success with the 6.0 & running it on veg. If you do get a 6.0 the make sure you are getting a good one. If it was me I would be going back to berween 99-03 & getting a truck with the 7.3. The 7.3 is one of the best diesel engines ever made & works great on VO.

One thing you need to do is get yourself more informed on the 7.3/6.0/6.4 Powerstroke. The 7.3 & 6.0 are similar in many ways & the conversion is almost the same. Not sure about the 6.4. Alot of info here for yah to help you understand the Powerstroke POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

Since you know little about diesels & I am assuming not real mechanically inclined I would suggest you buy a kit. The Vegistroke is the best choice IMHO.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 AM

x3 on the oil. be absolutly sure you can collect first. be sure you have the time and dedication to filter first as well.

7.3 is a great candidate, as well as the cummins. the 6.0 is fine, but my advise is if you get a 6.0, budget 2k to 4k to fix problems before they start. the amount depends on the year, labor, and what the previous owner has already done. the 6.0 can be made reliable. and they will run veg. the 7.3 injectors are more tolerant of fuel issues than the 6.0.

i love diesels, love the power, sound and free fuel. i drive my wife nuts as well but when we're saving $400+ a month in fuel she tolerates my remblings! but again, be positive you can collect oil.

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 03-11-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to muns53
These guys are giving you good advise. I kind of had the same notion as you that some local restaurants would give me their oil no problem. Well, unfortunatly, I was dead wrong and it took quite a while to get my current sources locked in. Start collecting and filtering and storing oil now and then continue to research what truck you want and how to convert it.

I knew very little about diesels or veg oil two years ago when I got into it. I was advised to get a 7.3L for it's simplicity and reliability and also I went with the Vegistroke instead of DIY because the thought of designing my own fuel system was overwhelming. Two years later, I'm very happy I did both.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM

All good info. V3 for sure. If I were you, I would buy a 02, 7.3 F350 crew cab, long box in perfect condition with minimal miles. Even if you didn't convert it, that truck will run longer and save you more money than any gasser. Older Cummins are great for conversions as well. Its true, find your oil first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.