aluminum transfer tank vs. aux tank? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
aluminum transfer tank vs. aux tank?

So I will be making the leap soon on a vegistroke system for my 1997 crewcab longbed. I am looking into tank options. I have found a 92 gallon aluminum TRANSFER tank / toolbox combo for a good price. However it states that it is NOT to be used as an Aux. tank for diesel truck. I just planned on cutting a hole in the top and adding a fattywagons heating element and fuel pick-up to the transfer tank. Would I have to do anything else other than that. It already comes with a vented 2" fill cap, a 2" threaded hole on the other side (Plugged, intended for transfer pump of course) and a plug on the bottom in case you need to drain the tank. The tank is fully baffled and all aluminum. So will this work for my conversion? or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's all political.

Go for it man, I don't think your missing a thing.
I like the bottom drain, tap into that and make it useable
Old 03-06-2011, 02:27 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking with the political angle... I was thinking that it didn't meet some safety requirement for DOT approval for use as aux tank, but for a transfer tank it is approved...Hmmm. I too like the idea of a drain on side at the bottom! could come in handy!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I really like the aluminum tanks, have you thought of going with plastic at all. I was looking into those they are like 300 bucks cheaper
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Well, I'm sure plastic could be used....But it's not for me. The back of my truckbed is going to see use and I like the tank/toolchest combo to save me from having to have seperate toolbox and tank. That and Clay reccommends aluminum too and He has over 100K Mi on veggi conversion, so he must be doing something right!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
So I will be making the leap soon on a vegistroke system for my 1997 crewcab longbed. I am looking into tank options. I have found a 92 gallon aluminum TRANSFER tank / toolbox combo for a good price. However it states that it is NOT to be used as an Aux. tank for diesel truck. I just planned on cutting a hole in the top and adding a fattywagons heating element and fuel pick-up to the transfer tank. Would I have to do anything else other than that. It already comes with a vented 2" fill cap, a 2" threaded hole on the other side (Plugged, intended for transfer pump of course) and a plug on the bottom in case you need to drain the tank. The tank is fully baffled and all aluminum. So will this work for my conversion? or am I missing something?
Here's one to look at if your after a transfer tank.

NEW 95 Gallon DOT Aluminum L-Shaped Fuel Transfer Tank - eBay (item 270427194800 end time Mar-07-11 07:00:55 PST)

On another note running veggi aint exactally legal so you might not want to advertise it much......
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Veggie is perfectly legal, as long as you pay the fuel tax on it.

Which we're all doing right?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 PM

alright, forgive my ignorance here....are you implying that by having a transfer tank in the bed of my truck, I will be "advertising" / attracting the attention of the local authorities? Who might just be inclined to stop and check the contents of my tank with one of their fancy test strips? AND that I wouldn't be able to convince them that it is really just for one of my off-road diesel toys?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM

We got a guy here in town that drives a ragged out Mercedes. His car is the original faded ugly yellow color, and he has "grease" flames painted all over the front hood and back into the doors. It looks like decent, sort of like the Sherwin Williams dripping paint bucket logo.

And then he has a big veggie fuel type of logo on it. He gets away with it just fine.

But not every one is so lucky........ or so I am told.

ME, well I have a chrome "WVO POWERED" badge under my Powerstroke badge. I like it, and NO ONE has ever asked me about it, no officers of the law or civilians either.

So maybe it's a gamble...... who knows. All I know is no one hassles me
Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not saying it will happen, just that it could. My buddy has a small equipment transport business on the side with his SD Dually. He hauls anywhere from 2k-20k on a gooseneck triaxle open trailer. He gets "dipped" atleast once a month. He has a transfer tank/tool box combo which he uses for D2 for long hauls...

Just saying....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.