Centrifuge necessary? wvo use in single tank? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Centrifuge necessary? wvo use in single tank?

I'm sure that some type of centrifuge, even just a basic one, may be most preferred, but could you also just filter wvo down to say 100-200 microns with other filtration sources of choice?

I'm thinking of doing some cold upflow settling and then pulling off the top before centrifuging or or other means of filtering.

I've been reading and seeing some success stories with people using 15-20% regular unleaded gasoline with 80-85% wvo in the original fuel tank. Users are claiming that right now it works fine in just about all weather conditions however they are also expressing concerns about what could be happening to the engine long term.

Just primarily concerned if centrifuging is necessary however any other thoughts about the RUG/WVO mixture are welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 02-21-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM

a CF is about the best you can get. no question.

we dont reccomend rug/wvo blends. long term damage is a conern. with injectors, carbon buildup, pushrod and valve guide damage have been observed.

no doubt someone wlse will post that they have been doign this fro 400k miles or something, and maybe they havem but the damage has been seen in some engnes. i can think of three off the top of myhead.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Question

Yeah I was thinking that coking or carbon buildup would be an issue but wondering which fuel would be the main culprit, the WVO or RUG?

Gasoline engines develop carbon deposits and I guess coking for diesels is a concern with wvo, even in seperate heated tanks, so now I'm wondering if you could run 15-20% of K-1 with WVO and if that would be better? Trying to see how it would be bad for the injectors if WVO has great lubrication properties, etc?

I know that seperate heated tanks is the way to go but just looking into other alternatives, etc.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM

i think the main idea would be to get wvo as close to D2 viscosity as possible. or at least B100. if your close i would think your good, but i think it owuld take a lot to get it there.

also, i belive wvo has a much high flaspoint than D2 and B100. thats something to keep in mind.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
i think the main idea would be to get wvo as close to D2 viscosity as possible. or at least B100. if your close i would think your good, but i think it owuld take a lot to get it there.

also, i belive wvo has a much high flaspoint than D2 and B100. thats something to keep in mind.

Shoot, even if it takes a 50/50 mixture to get the viscosity where it needs to be I'd do that. That would put my total fuel cost at just under $2.00 a gallon. I'd even consider running 60% K-1 to 40% WVO.

I'm wondering if that'd work?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 PM

About 2 months ago someone posted that real soon the "blending" questions were going to begin and here they are. In a nice way: Its not going to work. I blended and ended up with clogged filter and a stranded truck on the side of the road 150 miles away from the middle of nowhere. Only way to cut your fuel costs in half is to either convert to 2 tanks or get a car that gets double the MPG.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
About 2 months ago someone posted that real soon the "blending" questions were going to begin and here they are. In a nice way: Its not going to work. I blended and ended up with clogged filter and a stranded truck on the side of the road 150 miles away from the middle of nowhere. Only way to cut your fuel costs in half is to either convert to 2 tanks or get a car that gets double the MPG.
thats right, forgot about that! ^ this guy has pics of this. we do not advise it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Good info and always appreciated. I've enjoyed reading your many threads and they are always very informative. Having said that, and to also put it in a nice way: you mixed like 5 gallons of diesel with 10 to 15 gallons of wvo. I'm not talking about doing that. The only thing to consider with D-2 is maybe 5 gallons or so of WVO to a full tank of D-2, which is close to the opposite of what you tried. K-1 doesn't gel like D-2 and that's why I was thinking it could potentially thin the WVO easier/better and thus require considerably less K-1. MAYBE even RUG but no more than say 15-20% to a full tank of WVO........MAYBE

I also recall reading how you were having water issues with your oil around the same time you were exploring with blending. I think you have found a way since then to eliminate your water issues, etc., and that's great. Lot's of folks have issues with water and that can be a battle within itself.

Anyway, blending IS working with many others and the posts are fewer than we'd all like to see, but it is happening and successful users are using realistic blending percentages and using good filtered and de-watered wvo.

From there it's all about concerns of longevity and what might be happening to the engine over time and so far nothing conclusive about that.

Everybody keeps talking about using a seperate heated tank but at the same time it's always issues concerning coking, worrying about keeping optimal temps, monitoring this, monitoring that, and then in the colder months wearing a grill cover, etc. That's after you invest in a good system which is not cheap. So looking into reasonal blending is really not a bad thing

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 02-22-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
So looking into reasonal blending is really not a bad thing

But when you have a nice truck that you depend to make you money (even a daily driver) is it worth it to turn it into a guinea pig? I met a guy that burns motor oil. His truck was a 93 f250 with 2 tanks and it was a piece. He told me he has never had problems and in winter he blends it with diesel. Starts up and shuts down on diesel too. He said he would never do it with a nice truck because at the 3000 mile oil change interval his oil is burnt and super dark. I'm not knocking it but google Kelso, California. Thats where I broke down and had to stick my thumb out because there was no cell reception and 1 car every hour. After 3 hours on the side of the road my wife called 911 because we had our 2 year old son with us and the temps were already at 40 degrees. Another thing is if you are being frugal about the 2 tank kit then you are going to be frugal about filtering and dewatering (it only makes sense that if you are going to cop out on one then why not the other).

thats my reasoning.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't know nuttin....

There are MANY reason NOT to put any amount of WVO in the stock tank. The main one being blowby upon initial startup. Passingfuel by the riings when the engine is cold means your passing blended WVO, RUG and diesel into the crank case. This has proven to be fatal on more than one occurance.
Another reason to NOT blend fuels is the creation of polymerization in the stock fuel system. I have seen it and heard about it several times. There are people blending and claming that they have had no problems for 40k miles. Thats no test of time at all. These same people making these claims have not been heard from since because they don't want the shame of coming back and saying "I blew my engine and the mechanic said all my valves were coked up, I have 2 bend pushrods and holes in my pistons from making contact with the stuck pushrods".
Just last month a guy went through this with his 7.3. Not from blending but from extended idling on WVO in cold climates (a HUGE no no) because this also causes coking as a result of low cyl. temps and incomplete burn of the WVO. Now hes paying for a new 7.3
There are many more arguments against blending but these are the ones that matter most.
Just remember, if you decide to do this, come back here in a few years and post pics of the carnage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.