Biodiesel use in a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Biodiesel use in a 6.0

What percentage of biodiesel is safe to run in the 6.0? Could 100% be run in the summer? or even 100% be run in the winter with a seperate heated tank? Basically with the temperature not being an issue, can it be used just like in the 7.3? Or close to being compatible enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are actually talking about bio diesel and not some blend concoction I would say yes. I have run home brewed B100 in my 7.3 for thousands of miles.
You may have to change the fuel filter a time or two at first depending on how clean or dirty your fuel system is.
You can cut it with dino for cold temps. 70/30 should get you well below freezing, the oil stock and quality can have some effect on that.
You can heat the tank as well but I never have, so I can't speak about that.
To my knowledge there is nothing different about a 6.0 that would keep you from using Bio unless it has a DPF or Cat Converter. If it has either I think they need to be removed first.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Yes I am talking about full on biodiesel, just as stated in the first post. And I'm also inquiring about the use of biodiesel in a 6.0 not a 7.3

Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM

should be fine. as far as fuel systems are concerend they arent so much different than a 7.3 that it woudl cause issues. i would go B100
Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
when you all say B100, you mean veg oil right? So in the warmer months of the year you can run straight b100 in your diesel tank and it will start and run perfect?
sorry for my ignorance, however i am very interested as Diesel is going back up and i said i refused to pay over $3gallon and now i'm paying $3.40/gallon. I'm looking for a way to bring my costs down, especially if its going to hit $4-5/gallon again this year.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFocus View Post
when you all say B100, you mean veg oil right? So in the warmer months of the year you can run straight b100 in your diesel tank and it will start and run perfect?
sorry for my ignorance, however i am very interested as Diesel is going back up and i said i refused to pay over $3gallon and now i'm paying $3.40/gallon. I'm looking for a way to bring my costs down, especially if its going to hit $4-5/gallon again this year.
No he means biodiesel. My partner has 40K miles on B100 in his 2005 F250 w 6.0.

Whatever you choose to put in your tank make sure its filtered and dewatered. Seems like folks think they can just roll up to a restaurant and put free oil in their tank, doesn't work like that.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM

where are you all getting B100? i cant even find B20 around my area...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It will, and your best choices are biodiesel or straight vegetable oil (svo, also called wvo for waste vegetable oil).

B100 refers to 100% biodiesel. B50 means 50% biodiesel and 50% regular diesel. B20 means 20% biodiesel and so on...

Generally speaking, you can run B100 in your factory tank in the warmer months but have to run something less concentrated when its cold (B70, B50, or B20). If you have an auxillary fuel tank that's heated, you can run B100 year round. But if you're adding a second tank that's heated, the better route would be svo.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM

thanks for the clarification! as always you guys are a HUGE help. Now i just need to find someone who's making B100
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
thanks for the clarification! as always you guys are a HUGE help. Now i just need to find someone who's making B100
All depends on your location for specific percentages. Lots of companies especially newer companies may only offer B-50 as the highest percentage available due to operating costs, expired credits, and demand, etc. But if you can only find B-50 it is still an excellent fuel and offers way more than enough lubrication for your injectors, etc.

Studies conclude that only 2% biodiesel offers enough lubrication for our engines and is better than any other type of lubrication based additive including 2 cycle oil.

2% would be just over a half gallon in a 29 gallon tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.