opinions on my fuel pump selections - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
opinions on my fuel pump selections

im going to start my conversion here soon. im looking to see what you guys think of the pumps im looking to get. for the diesel side im thinking of a stock frame mount super duty pump. i dont know what i will use yet for a regulator...any suggestions? for the veggie side im thinking of an air dog 150. a couple of my buddies run the air dog and love it. they arent running veggie though, just modded diesels.

im planning on a diy system. probably what ridiculously-necessary posted. im thinking of using my stock front tank for veggie. i have left over sealer/coating from going through the tank in my 41 ford. i figure id try it and see how it does. i dont know yet how im going to plum the heater for around the sending unit. ill tackle that when the time comes.

for now, id just like to get the diesel side up and going. id like to have the fuel bowl deleted and start figuring out/plumbing the hose in hose stuff.

bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 AM

I'm about one step ahead of you. I have bought most of my stuff now but haven't installed it yet. My regulator is a fuel labs mini regulator. The build quality is amazing on this thing. Of course all the specs meet what we need. As far as a pump goes, I took a gamble. It was between the FASS and WVO designs pump. I went with the WVO designs pump. I received the pump yesterday, this thing is massive. I think the pump weighs over 10 lbs by itself. Hopefully I picked a winner, only time will tell.

I am looking to do a fuel bowl delete also. Does anyone know what kind of fittings are used to connect the D2 feed/return lines to the fuel bowl. I am going to use the stock D2 lines and pump.

Last edited by rlyons124; 02-08-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That design is a bit out of date and i need to update it. but will still work fine.

you have a couple of options, if you want a regualted return youre on the right path. i have a new SD pump im trying ot sell anyway. i will be using a wvodesigns pump as well.

you can also use an internally regualted pump. but if you want a return youll need to restrict the flow or just get a regualtor. for now im going to dead-head mine. its cold and cash is limited so ill tackle a return in the spring or summer. im just going to plug the return lines with some sort of pipe plug for now. i dont recall the fitting size.

if you are going to use the stock banjo bolt i have some part numbers for that -12SAE fitting. as well as a fuel line that supposed to be pretty good, and its about a $1 a foot. havent tried it yet, but its diesel and bio safe.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
T
if you are going to use the stock banjo bolt i have some part numbers for that -12SAE fitting. as well as a fuel line that supposed to be pretty good, and its about a $1 a foot. havent tried it yet, but its diesel and bio safe.
Be sure to find the -12SAE fitting before you strip everything down. It was a difficult fitting to find in my little town. A hydraulic fittings shop is your best bet. Here's another useful thread. I did mine pretty much like the on in that link except I used NAPA heads/filters and a Raptor 150 high pressure pump. For veg, I coped out and got a Vegistroke. I also put a single 3/8" check valve in the banjo bolt assembly in the engine valley to prepare for the veg install.

For your return, if you go with a regulated pump you can just cap off the return line under the hood. It's sort of a barb/bulb type fitting with no threads, so I just slid a short piece of fuel hose on it, stuck a bolt in the end for a plug, clamped it and called it good.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM

the part numbers i have are for HFI Fluid Power Products. I got my -12 SAE from them for less than $2, not including shipping of course.

if you clamp the return shut though its not a regulated return. just deadheaded of sorts.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM

im still unsure what im using as far as line/fittings. ill look at that when i got the engine out in a month or two. i do plan on regulating the return.

i already got the superduty pump. the bone yard owed me money so i took this instead. any opinions on the air dog?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM

The air dog is not up to snuff for veggie. Several of us have tried pure flow pumps on veg and they don't cut it. I run the FASS svo edition as do several others with good luck. Folks seem excited about the new wvo designs pump, but I have no personal experience with it.
The lesson I have learned over and over with SVO is to overdesign and overbuild. You'll never wish you had a less robust system.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Turbo74 pinto & rlyons124 what year trucks do you have? IMO that will greatly deterime what DIY conversion is best for you.

No matter what year you have if at all possible I would recommend a checkvalve system. Make sure you keep the fuels seperate(don't share stock filter or stock pump) & if your front tank it steel don't use it for veg. Mild steel will cause poly formation. I agree that the Airdog is not the best option. Up until Vo Designs come out with their new pump the Fass was the best option. Because there is no history on Leons new pump I won't recommend or say anything against it. I will say Leon has alot of good products & great customer service so I would not be concerned in trying it. Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty. If you want a pump with some history get the Fass HPFP which comes with a 4 year warranty. The Fass does come with it problems which are well documented. If I had to roll the dice I would try Leons pump. Stay away from any copper in your conversion. Brass is not the best option either but many are using it. They are both poly makers with copper being #1 worst.

As far as fuel line I would go with Aircraft grade aluminum & do a TIH to heat your fuel lines. Make sure you have a fuel pressure or vaccum gauge & plumb it so it will read VO & D2 pressure. You also should have a VO temp gauge. These 2 gauges are vital IMO. You need a good heated pickup for your tank & I suggest a Hotfox pick up. Mine works very well.

I have probably forgot alot of stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM

my truck is a late 94 extended cab long bed with a powerstroke
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Turbo74 pinto & rlyons124 what year trucks do you have?
99 E350, electric fuel pump from the factory.

Quote:
No matter what year you have if at all possible I would recommend a checkvalve system.
Completely agree. From what I have read the checkvalve system is simplistic, proven and reliable.

Quote:
Stay away from any copper in your conversion.
I have been reading a lot about poly lately and it seams like even the copper braising in the FPHE are causing some poly. I haven't been able to find any clear cut answers or alternatives to the FPHE. Does anyone have some info on this.

Quote:
Brass is not the best option either but many are using it.
I'm working on my centrifuge operation also, any opinions on using brass for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.