NEW WVO tank configuration plans! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW WVO tank configuration plans!

I have the cost estimate from RDS tank and could use some forum input before I pull out the plastic! The premise for the new tank is:
1) 100 gallon capacity
2) Gull wing toolbox style top. This in an efffort to camoflage the fact that it is a tank. Fuel fill, sending unit, vent fitting, rollover valve all not vidsible and under lock and key. Given its size and the fact it is going on an aluminum flatbed, I want the tank to appear to be a toolbox.
3) Sump style pick up and heat exchanger. The fuel pickup and heat exchanger will be under the truck bed in a box roughly 8"X8"X4"
welded to the tank. This way, the HIH and the pickup are not visible. I will use the plasma cutter to cut the hole in the truck bed.
4) The tank is not insulated, however the goal is to concentrate the heat to the sump box. Aluminum heat exchanger in the bottom, 3/4 SST drain valve, and electric 110V/400 watt heating element (for -25*F mornings on hunting trips). I plan to cover the sump with a domed cover (inside tank), utilizing natural convection currents to heat the sump. Lost radiating heat will keep oil flowing into the sump. The sump box under the bed WILL be covered and insulated.

The drain valve (stainless) is for future use. I plan for a second slightly smaller auxilary tank no taller than the 100 gallon, say 75 gallons or so. With the valve I can quick couple the second tank to the first and gravity flow the second tank into the first, allowing for cross country range.....(plans for Alaska trip). No user input is planned for the gravity feed. Fill both tanks, open valve and drive.

Any forum input is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 PM

At -25 I am hunting for more covers cause I ain't getting out of bed. But the tank sounds well thought out and ideal for your uses.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Dude, that's brilliant! Why not position the sump box to gather heat from the exhaust? Let me know when you figure out some cost, maybe two is cheaper than one.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM

RDS quoted $1005 plus $120 freight.
$100 in sump for materials and fittings/aluminum tubing.

I didnt think the tank price was out of line. At northern tool, and RDS tank that is similar is $850. That tanks dimensions dont work for my application. I need a minimum of six feet bed space for salt spreader in the winter and six feet for dog box in the summer.

I hope to get more feedback soon from the forum here, I am thinking that mid week I will order the tank because the flatbed will be here next week.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to muns53
All of these ideas sound good to me... sump design concentrates heat and you use every drop of fuel; 400W A/C element gives you some warmth in the tank for a faster/safer switchover in the cold; tank expansion port gives you more range without much complexity. If you think you'll use that expansion tank in cold weather, you may want some kind of coolant loop around the connection point so that you can get the oil to flow into the primary tank. When you cut your hole in the bed, you may want to leave some extra room around the sump so that if there's any flex in the bed, it doesn't tear the sump off.

That's all I got... post pics!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is this gonna be the traditional Chrome truck plate look?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 AM

Tank is 1/8 aluminum Diamond Plate. Bed is aluminum also.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM

the price is awesome, like you said, a new tank from RDS or even tractor supply is nearly $900.

i would definitly do this if i had the resources avaialble. hotfox is on teh way now. but for my next truck i probably will do this. i like the idea of being able to use the last 10-15 gallons that would otherwise slosh away from the hotfox.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Only thing I got is how is it going to be held to the truck bed and is there a service opening or inspection opening?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Only thing I got is how is it going to be held to the truck bed and is there a service opening or inspection opening?

Fastened with tabs and bolted to the headache rack and bed.
Inspection cover above sump for assembly/install-inside of passenger side lid. The lid will also contain the sending unit for the gauge, as to limit the number of openings in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.