Who is running a seprate water/fuel filter on the wvo side - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who is running a seprate water/fuel filter on the wvo side

I have looked at a couple of setups and I haven't seen anyone running two filters, regular and water/fuel filters. I will be running my oil through a centrifuge before it goes in the tank. Do you guys think a water/fuel filter is necessary on the wvo side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Donaldson filters do separate the water from the fuel. I am interested in the responses this thread will get. I have considered adding a water block to my system. I had a water issue in my clean oil barrel a few weeks ago. The furnace used to heat my processing area broke down leaving me with near frozen oil that developed condensation. I used a bucket heater to heat the oil and noticed it was crackling, after pumping it through my water block filter I did the crackle test and the filter had removed the water ( this is pre veg tank fill up ). It makes me wonder about condensation in the heated veg tank and if the Donaldson is really doing the job. I use a water block filter post my centrifuged oil, ( just in case ). After that last experience, I highly recommend it.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM

IMHO not running seperate filters is foolish. Heated on the VO side. I prefer coolant heated. Two seperate and independant systems are far less likely to leave you on the roadside when a component fails.

I question the ability for a filter to remove water under pressure. Vacuum maybe, but I would not rely on an onboard filter to do anything but polish oil pre-injection.

I recomend to never run VO thru the factory hard lines connected to filter. the factory CV's get nasty and severly restrict flow. I have begun to drill out the CV's on the D2 side anyway if leaving the factory hard lines in place. The fuel bowl oulets are 1/8 npt anyway, so why not upgrade those lines to at least 5/16 and gain consistent fuel pressures and volume while you are up in there doing the other two corners?

CF'd oil is always best, however, the general concensus is that an open top CF's reusults far exceed that of the spinner type/pressure driven variety.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM

I can't be sure, but what I thought he meant was, is anyone running a veg filter and a water block in there system ( two inline veg filters ). By the way Mike, I'm still not sure what is causing my V3 to not all ways work in auto mode. I told you I would let you know when I figured it out. It still does the same thing, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it works for 30 miles then just shuts off. Its probably a failing pressure switch. In the mean time I installed a d2 kill switch so that when the auto mode isn't working I can manually turn on my veg pump and shut of my d2. With any luck I will have a veg temp gauge and new fuel pressure gauge installed tomorrow. I am going to install the temp gauge just before the veg goes into the heads. I'll let you know the veg temps, Post fphe, pre heads.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Please do share the results!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Davidschaffer you were right on your assumption. I was talking about your typical two tank system, having a designated wvo filter and water block filter then having your designated diesel filters. Is anyone running a water block filter for the wvo side?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM

I guess I read too far into the question........I think you are right david!
Been a long day.

I can add this......FASS recomends that no filter be placed pre-pump smaller than 144 micron. With that said, it may aanswer part of the question.

I do not run and water block filter I think that issue has been addressed by the careful CF process. Even if I could I dont think I would.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM

Put a water block filter, post cf pre veg tank. I use a golden rod from tractor supply co. I think it may only be good for 5 gallons/minute, so your fill up time may slow if used properly. I know a guy that does custom wvo installs ( very high end stuff ), if I remember correctly he uses a water block post the donaldson on his set ups. Like vegginpsd said, properly cf'd oil will be water free, but, I am wondering about condensation. The donaldson does claim to remove water, so its probably all you need. Has anyone tested the oil post donaldson on a heated system in cold weather?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM

If you're processinng your oil correctly, you shouldn't need a separate water block filter. Right?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
If you're processinng your oil correctly, you shouldn't need a separate water block filter. Right?
Correct. Unless condensation is an issue. It seems that there are many folks running heated veg systems in cold climates with no water problems. I had never seen any water ( post cf ) in my clean barrel until my furnace started breaking down causing the processing area to freeze, then warm, freeze and warm. It just made me wonder what was happening inside my veg tank. I also noticed more water in my cf bowl when the furnace wasn't keeping the processing area at a steady temp. May be it was all coincidental and I just happened to have collected a watery batch of oil, I honestly can't be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.