Clogged D2 fuel filter from/DISGUSTING FUEL BOWL PIX - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clogged D2 fuel filter from/DISGUSTING FUEL BOWL PIX

So when I first started this whole alternative fuels thing some guy that I met told me he was blending diesel with WMO and that he didnt see a problem with doing it with VO. Well I did it once and I did 10 gallons of VO to 5 gallons of diesel. Oh my god Im glad I chose to just convert my truck. As you can see from the pictures the water,oil and whatever else is in there had seperated out of the diesel inside the fuel bowl and just settled and settled and then settled some more. Yesterday as I was driving to work my truck just died. I dont have the lowest mileage truck but it does run perfectly. Luckily I was 5 miles from home (at work) and called GEICO. 20 minutes later my truck was home. I got home to work on it and first thing I did was crack fuel lines at the heads to make sure there was diesel.... there wasnt any. Since I had only been running diesel I opened the fuel bowl to make sure there was fuel and there wasn't (so I thought). I didn't do anything except go to sleep and decide to work on it this morning. Since it had same symptoms as a clogged veggie fuel filter I figured that had to be it. I took off the filter and it was like cold chicken soup in there. I laughed, cried and then thanked Allah the almighty that I had an extra fuel filter. I cleaned the bowl out by syphoning it out with a clear tube since my drain valve was also clogged with this stuff. I disconnected the heater and just scrubbed it out and dried it. The entire fuel bowl was full with this chicken soup stuff.
Can someone tell me what the ring of stuff around the fuel filter is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 PM

that looks like either PHO or extreemly emulsified water and VO.

the ring looks like cold pho or wax crystals. probably wax crystals from the cool oil. imagine that crap getting into your motor on startup.

D2 will thin VO but generally not mix well. what likely happend is the heavy vo/pho sunk to the bottom of your fuel tank, and thats what the fuel pickup sucked up first. it was warm enough to run by the time it made it to your bowl, then it cooled off. eventually you had enough in there that it clogged the filter.

thanks a ton for posting this. this is a great thread for those thinking of mixing, or those that have a kit that feeds vo to the fuel bowl. (like the one the PO put on mine)

heat that crap up and see if it melts, then do a hot pan test. if no crackeling, or minimal crackeling then its probably just pho.

my advise, aside from your conclusions on mixing and having to clean the bowl, fill the clean bowl with seafoam and the new filter, run the truck around the block a couple of times. let it sit overnight to soak the injectors. run it a few miles the next day to flush the sea foam, then change the oil. Clay has a pretty pic of his buddys crankcase, he mixed vo with D2.

if i had to take a shot in the dark, can'twinforlosing was the guy that told you this?

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 01-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM

no the guy that told me this was a local SOCAL person that I havent spoken to in a few months. I couldnt believe how much gunk was at the bottom of the fuel bowl. It was a good 1-2" inches of the stuff. Some of it wasnt veggie oil related but 98% of it was.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 AM

[QUOTE=ridiculously_necessary;if i had to take a shot in the dark, can'twinforlosing was the guy that told you this?[/QUOTE]

I thought the exact same thing.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 AM

I consider myself very lucky that I was able to find this. I've had hard/rough/romp starts for past 3-4 months and I thought it was just the trucks age. Went out this morning to start the truck up and even though its 45 degrees outside it started up within 1 second like never before.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 AM

45* sounds tropical right now.

Im plowing snow 6" at the moment, and the Cyberdyne digital thermometer on the truck says -01*!

WHY DO I LIVE HERE?
Tuesday night low temp will be -18* to -23*F!
Talk about an excersize in heat exchange.......
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM

today was 40. wed or thurs nigt will be -X again.

glad to hear its running well again.

what are your plans from this point forward?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM

well my veggie valve is stuck open but luckily I have diesel in the veggie tank until I get my wet oil situation under control. FPHE is up next and today I went to buy ball valves to block coolant flow to the veggie tank but couldnt find any at home depot.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Get rid of the solenoid valves.

Source check valves from leon or Ebay. One less GC piece in the puzzle to get F'd up.

You will have succeeded when the tank, filter and co-pilot are the only GC hardwares left.

I would bet the goodies in your filter are the same thing that are causing the valves to malfunction.........

I have a GC valve on the regulated return routing return fuel for way over 100K. They are sound valves in design, but it would not take much to cause problems. Kinda tiny in them valves.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM

i would have to agree. im going with cv's. after everything i have read on solenoid valves it just makes more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.