tank under bed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tank under bed

has anybody ran a tank in the location of the spare tire. also have the thought of building a tank to run on passanger side under bed with a 6" tube running thru it to allow exsaust witch is 4" to go thru. and would gain a little heat exhange off the pipe. just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Some people have relocated the cross-member in the rear to fit an excursion tank in the rear.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not sure what you rig is, but with mine i already had a tank back there. Original was only 16gal or somthing, plus it is steel which wont work with WVO. I was gonna have a custom tank built to fit in its place, which would also take up the spot for the spare. I am running 37's so no need for a spare anyway. Was gonna fab mine out of aluminum, but found a guy selling one on the ORG which was exactally what i was looking for. New tank will hold 52 gallons...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

exhaust through tank is overkill. I thought about it and at idle the temps at the very rear outlet of exhaust can easily reach 150 degrees. Imagine at highway speeds. I realized I would probably be boiling or overheating the oil.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 AM

yes, cold to roasted in notime. it can be doen im sure. but i would make absolutly sure the pipe is not in direct contact with the oil. exhaust is heat i would love to use. it can be done fo sure. not sure anyone has done it. but you have to be able to regulate the heat and redirect he exhaust.

one thought i had at one time was create some sore of heat sync, pull heat from the pipe and sync it off to the tank somehow.

if you want to tackle this, i sure we are all ears. i have a 105 gallon l-tank and run PHO, and i would like to be able to run fully HO without cutting with diesel. a hotfox isnt enough for that in the winter. but this isnt a project i want to tackle at the moment.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i was thinking to use the free space under the bed. if built use a tube 1-1.5" bigger than exsaust to clear pipe. and it would allow some air flow to help keep over heating down. mainly just throwing a idea out there. we are trying to buy a house and im going to wait and see how far or close we move to my job. a 5 mile trip would not be a good choice for wvo system
Old 01-15-2011, 03:11 PM

I've got a 40 gallon tank in the bed of my truck, and I've got two 36" stacks I'm waiting to put in and I had just planned on moving the tank back to fit the exhaust in but now I'm wondering if that will be too much heat?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Been thinking how nice this would be to have. Custom fit... keep your spare... same location as stock... just a bit too pricey for me.

Ford Large Capacity Diesel Fuel Tanks for Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The Leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks

Last edited by taskforcefreddy; 01-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 PM

i say if you want to expiriment with exhaust go for it. we are all eyes and ears! a wise investment might be an infrared/laser temp gun.

i like those titan tanks, but like you said. pricey. if i had my choice of tanks no matter the cost, i would have about 210 gallons capacity, 170 gal of vo, the other 40 would be D2 or bio. thats some nice range at 17-19mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.