I have serious water problems in my veggie oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have serious water problems in my veggie oil

Got a sweet oil source to feed my hungry 7.3 but I have noticed a lot of water and hydrogenated oil in it. I can get rid of most of the hydrogenated oil but the water is what I am having a problem with obviously as its just making my veggie filter swell up fast. I got 604 miles out of my first one then about 1200 miles out of second and 400ish miles out of third one. I think the only reason I got 1200 out of the second one was because I settled the oil for 2-3 weeks. I found this on ebay and figured I could put this in my 400 micron screen and just put it in the screen as its centrifuging. any thoughts?

Biodiesel Water Extraction Media - eBay (item 200535865264 end time Jan-23-11 13:41:55 PST)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Are you running the wet oil in your truck? If so man you gotta stop that asap. Your going to do major damage to your engine if you run wet oil.

What testing are you doing for water? HPT or crackle? Are you heating your oil before centrifuge? What type of centrifuge do you have? If your not heating then I suggest you start. Heating & then centrifuging will dewater oil. It's a good pratice not matter how dry your oil is. Helps with filtering as well.

As for the Quick & Dry I know very little about it other then to say I have heard a few say it works. Can't give you any more info then that.

IMO if you have a good filtering process the quick & dry is not necessary. If the oil is really wet it may take extra passes to remove the water but it should do it.

Why is there so much water in your oil? Is it rainwater from a 55 gallon barrel? If so I would try & talk your source into putting the oil back into the cubies it came in. Makes it easier to handle & transport as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM

I agree with simone0414. You have to either heat the oil to get the water out of the oil or wash the oil. Create a sprinkler system to let the water evaporate from the oil in junction with heating. Either way it is going to take a while. We had no luck with the veggie fuel to feed two fuel hungry 7.3's. It took us at least a week to make about 40 gallons of fuel and then we still had water problems. I gave up on it. Good luck to you!!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 AM

I heat to about 130 degrees but I dont think I am heating long enough. I seriously dont think I will be getting anywhere unless I either boil the oil to the point of burning it or buy this water extractor stuff. Im not talking about biodiesel. Im talking about getting water out of pure waste vegetable oil. No idea why there is so much water. I mean I make it sound like a lot but I will assume its about 20 ml per gallon but I know its the hydrogenated oil that its hiding in.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Please tell us your entire filtering process & what centrifuge you have. Also where did you get the oil from? A barrel sitting outside filling with rainwater? Also need to know how you are testing for water.

Need more info to be able to help you.

I had some really wet oil a few weeks ago from a 55 gallon barrel. I had to heat & run 5 passes through my centrifuge beofre it passed the HPT. I thought I wasn't going to be able to dewater the oil either so I posted On Frybrid & this is what was suggested.Can't get oil to pass HPT - Forums

Click on the link in post 4. Shows you how to vaccum dewater. I never tried it but make look at it in the future.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 PM

heat, filter, then settle for a month typically works for me. then i only use the top 2/3rds of the barrel.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 AM

High heat (250*) and settle overnight. Drain as needed off of bottom.
Single pass thru a gravity CF and you will be water free. 140*F, 8 GPH
If you are counting on a filter to remove water you are asking for real trouble....

Is the moisture from wash water? If so, heartbreak is on your horizon. That may mean the dreaded BOIL OUT.

Last edited by vegginpsd; 01-02-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: detail
Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
High heat (250*) and settle overnight. Drain as needed off of bottom.
Single pass thru a gravity CF and you will be water free. 140*F, 8 GPH
If you are counting on a filter to remove water you are asking for real trouble....

Is the moisture from wash water? If so, heartbreak is on your horizon. That may mean the dreaded BOIL OUT.
250* Wow that's hot. Lets cross our fingures it's not boilout.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 AM

hotter is gooder.
LP gas is my friend
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well i am far from an expert, but he is running a Grease Car Kit, doesn't that use on board filtering? Is there any filtration at all prior to putting it in his tank? This would be the reason there is so much water left in his WVO. If he is simply running it through a sediment(junk) filter and then putting it in his truck he is gonna have a S**T ton of water or hydrogenation left in it.

Again i am not expert my any means, but just my ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.