fass hdfp installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fass hdfp installation

Ok well I wasn't real sure where to put this so I hope this is the right section. I have a greasecar system installed on my 2000 f250 and it has been doing good but I knew that I wanted to replace the stock pump with something better, and I found a good deal on a fass hdfp so I bought it. Installation wasnt that difficult and I added a fuel pressure gauge to watch the pressure, had to tighten the spring a bit but the truck started right up and ran great with a consistent 65 psi. Drove the truck for only about 10 minutes because it was late when I finished but when I pulled back into the driveway the truck just died. Wasnt sure what it was but I kept messing with it and you could start the truck up and it would run but it would just randomly die, and when it died it wasnt like it ran out of fuel it just immedietely died like I cut it off, and it never sputtered or acted like it ran out of fuel. To me it sounds like an electrical problem because of the way it was cutting off, but I just connected the stock pump wires to the connector fass provided. The problem now is that when you turn the truck on the pump will turn on and put out about 10psi and then the pump will cut off after about 30 seconds. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not sure what the problem might be. I have the HD also as my fuel pump. I do know that when I had it installed they wired it from the battery and didn't use the old fuel pump wiring.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Ok I'll have to try that. How could I wire it to the battery and have it turn on with the truck?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Well I wired it to the pump and got the same thing, about 10 psi but this time the pump would run continuously instead of cutting off after 30 seconds, and the truck wouldn't crank on 10 psi.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 AM

A 30A relay is required to operate a fass pump correctly and long term
Use the factory power source as the trigger for the relay, while using 12 AWG wire with an inline fuse rated for 30A. Ground the pump to the battery. The pump will run the same as the stock pump did using the factory lead as the trigger in respect to shutting off after key on/engine off.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM

did you fix this? are you pulling oil from your filter or pushing through your filter?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is a fuel system. The pump is now the only pump, stock not being used. Pulls from the tank, through the FASS and the to the fuel bowl on top of the engine.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
This is a fuel system. The pump is now the only pump, stock not being used. Pulls from the tank, through the FASS and the to the fuel bowl on top of the engine.
Polarbear: he has a greasecar kit so this is not the way greasecar kits are set up or really any other grease set up.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Well for now I went back to the stock pump until I have a day to install it. And it is set up to pull through the filter.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Could you please describe your Vo conversion & how it is set up. I am unfamiliar with how a greasecar system works but if I an understanding you correctly you are running your fass for D2 & VO & you stock fuel pump is not running anything. If this is so then I would be concerned about that. IMO the best way is to leave your diesel fuel system the same & run a whole new fuel system for Veg. Copying the Vegistroke conversion by using the plugged ports in the heads for the VO fuel lines & not messing with the stock fuel bowl is the way to go IMO.

Do you have a FPHE in your conversion? What veg temps are you getting? I have heard many times that greasecar systems do not provide enough heat to run veg at proper temps.

As for the Fass itself I think vegginpsd is on the right track. The Fass requires 30amps & I am pretty sure your stock wiring setup is for 20 amps. Your probably not getting enough power to run the Fass. Are you blowing your stock fuel pump fuse? Are you getting any codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.