7.3 fuel pump and veggie oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 fuel pump and veggie oil

my truck is a late 94 f350 with a powerstroke. it has the mechanical lift pump on the block. is this pump ok for use with veggie oil? will i need to update my fuel system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No it will not do VO... You Will need at least 65psi on the VO side. Most guys with an OBS are running dual systems with a regulated return. That i what i am planning on running. You will also want to add a VO tank as your stock steel tanks will not cut it for WVO. Read up in the forums and ask questions from the seasoned guys running WVO. You should be able to fins all the info you need right here. Good Luck!!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my origioanl kit, the one that the PO put on used the stocker mech pump, and fuel bowl. bad idea. i will be converting after the 1st of the year to a proper setup, dual/paralell electric. ill take photos and post here.

CharlieC is about the one other one who did a mechanical to electric upgrade on an OBS around here. but he already had a kit. you can check his write-up for some more info.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 AM

why cant i use one of my factory fuel tanks? is the weight of the veggie oil what causes stock pumps not to work?

trust me, ill be asking lots of questions it seems like when i do a search here, i get 300 posts to sift through. needless to say, it takes me some time to do the reading.

i own a small landscaping company in the cleveland ohio area. my goal is to cut some of my fuel cost. and with fuel prices on the rise, maybe ill be able to pay myself a little better with this thing converted. if this thing goes well, ill be hunting down a diesel mower. a buddy has an old 3 cylinder diesel kubota that he is giving me. if i can get it running, i plan on using that as my test mule.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 AM

they are steel and will eventually cause poly. the few tanks i have seen start to poly in about 18 months. and yes, the oil is heavy, thick, espicially in the winter. depending on your climate. most of have an in bed aluminum or poly tank.

stock pump will work for a while but is not stout enough. that and you dont to mix veggie with diesel, diesel with veg is ok though. with the OBS fuel bowl in place you cannot flush the system and your looking at cold starts on veg. not good.

if you run a lot of short trips and dont have much time to warm up then you might look into biodiesel. and bio is probably going to be a bit better for your mowers anyway. but i know little about small diesel engines.

if you really want to dive in, be sure you can collect oil first. some areas are running dry due to grease companies.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM

my truck normally stays warm. the days i have short drives only, the accounts take about 10-20 min. the truck is barely off. this is the only winter im driving it. for the most part, it will be driven april through november. most of the time the temps will be in the 60s and up.

what is poly? after i saw these posts, i searched charliec and i read about the plastic tanks that some 96-97s had. im going to contact the junk yard i deal with and see if i can take a look at one. if i can make it work, i will.

what do you mean you can mix diesel with veg but not the other way around?

i am able to get roughly 80 gallons a month as of now.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM

poly is a chicken fat like buildup that is caused by oxygen, moisture and metal. it will plug pickup tubes and filters.

be sure to check the insides of those tanks, mine is plastic on the outside and metal on the inside.

that part has all to do with cold starts and damage over time. cold veg is thicker and may not burn properly. causes carbon issues and such. it can also get into the oil. ive read a few forum posts where this stuff can get into the oil and block small passages, like valve guides, lifter rod areas, etc. never expirienced it personally, but ive seen pictures and such. clay has a nice pic of a nasty oil pan from a leaky injector.

there ar a few guys who do this and run fine for a long time, but im not going there. partially because my fuel pump doesnt pull the veg well, i want a larger in bed tank, my stock tank is either poly'd or the pickup tube is clogged or both. i also dont want my fuel filter waxing with unflushed veg in cold weather. ive had starting issues in the past in the cold with a partially flush system. the truck runs well and i want to keep it that way.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I actually was going to have a custom aluminum tank built to replace my rear tank as both of my stock tanks are currently leaking. Was looking to get at least 40 gals in the veg tank. I found one on the ORG with a Hot Fox and a sending unit for considerably less than i could have one built for, and it was approx 50gals. I didn't want to lose any space in the bed.

Also Ridiculously_Nessecary really knows what he is talking about. You might also quarry Vegginpsd, he is also a wealth of knowledge. They both have great write-ups in this forum on converting and collecting. Both have really good schematics on their DIY conversions. I hope to be up and running with my truck, collection system, and centrifuge wvo cleaning system by late winter or early spring.

On another note i personally know a farmer here in Upstate NY who runs 100% B100 for about 8 months out of the year in all his equipment. The rest of the time he is running about B30 blended with kero.... I hope to incorporate Bio into my system in the future to further reduce my need for that Arab oil.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

the tank they had was just like you said, metal on the inside.

aluminum is acceptable? my dads work has a nice tig that i can use. i guess i could just pull one of my tanks and make a new one to fit the frame.

i will go back to reading and studying now. im sure youll hear more questions from me!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM

there is a site somewhere that sells something like a 57 gallon repalcement tank (front). i dont recall if its metal or poly, but its insanely expensive. so if you built one you could make a large one. also i know some people upgrade the rear tank to a bronco tank - much larger, dont recall the capacity. it may be easier to build a tank to replace the rear...

back when i was looking for a bed tank aluminum was very hard to find. people wanted near new prices for them. i thought about a used steel tank, and a rhino or some sort of paint coating on the inside to see what happens...

just a few thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.