New WVO pump idea - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New WVO pump idea

I have been doing research on wvo pumps for quite some time now and I have realized that no one make a reliable (5-10 years and 100k+ miles) wvo pump. I know some people will swear by a raptor or a FASS but there isn't a pump our there that everyone says this pump is the best and it will last for.........

With that said, I was thinking that I need a pump that is way over engineered to do this job. There has to be a pump out there that is used for industrial use that will easily handle the job of what we need it to do.

So this is what I have come up with. Use a gear pump like an Oberdorfer chemsteel and drive it with a separate industrial/continuous motor or even better mount it to the front of the engine and drive it off the belt. The only issue I see with driving it off the belt is the constant rpm change. I have not figured out if it is possible to get a pulley size that would allow it to operate within the factory range and produce enough pressure. As far as a separate electric motor goes, the only down fall I could think of would be the size.

From what I have read, this style pump is used for similar applications and they are very robust. I figured if I got one that was way overkill it would last forever. Some of the pumps people are buying go for 300-700 and they don't seam to be proven and reliable. I think I could spend that much and put something bullet proof together. I know Leon has one coming out but it will take some time before that pump can prove it will last. I have some other thoughts on this but I figure I will let some people chime in. Please let me hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could you just add a fuel pressure regulator?

I have often wondered if a SBC pump that people use for VO transfer could be used. I would think it would take quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work.

I think you may be looking for something that isn't possible. What I mean is nothing lasts forever. Eventually something will go on it. Another thing to keep in mind is the pumps most are using( Fass/ Raptor/Leons) all come with a minimum 4 year warranty. The Raptor is lifetime. Yes they cost alot but when they go you get a new one. You make one on your own & there is no warranty. Unless you have a gear pump & motor sitting on a shelf somewhere I'm willing to bet that it will be quite pricey to set up one.

I think you are much better off buying one & when it craps out take advantage of the warranty. It there was no warranty then I would say go for it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM

You would defiantly need a regulator.

The warranty's are great on the most common pumps but what happens after the warranty is up. Chances are it will fail shortly after the warranty expires. If you can rebuild them then its not a big deal but it would suck to have to buy another one. With the Oberdorfer style pump you can at least rebuild them if they fail. I would much rather keep rebuilding a pump than having to buy new ones. Does anyone know if there are kits to rebuild the FASS and Raptor pumps?

The Raptor pump does not have a lifetime warranty if it is ran on wvo. I talked to AirDog and they specifically said there is not lifetime warranty if it is ran on wvo. If the business selling them is warranting them that is a different story. Does anyone else have info on the Raptor lifetime warranty?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 AM

If there is no warranty on the Raptor if used for VO then why does Veg Power's website give the impression there is? You might want to call them about this.

If you are wondering about rebuild kits for the Fass Call Diesel Performance Parts.

I guess it just depends on how you want to tackle this. You can either buy a pump with a warranty that is ready to go & easy to install, save thousands of $$$ in fuel & potenially have to fork out more doe when it craps out after the warranty runs out or you can spend potentially just as much to gear up your own pump with no warranty & cross your fingers. That's up to you to decide.

You never know you may be the guy who comes up with the holy grail of VO pumps that last forever. Or you could build something that you are constantly working on. IMO I would buy over build.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 AM

good thinking on your part. i agree as well.

as for Leon, his new pump has the motor and pump housing seperated iirc. so the wvo shouldnt be able to enter the pump. and its vacuum sealed. his new pump coudl very well last a very long time. aside from time testing the pumps, i think hes on the right track.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Get a FASS from BFT. They have been engineered to the BFT specs to handle the heat. The primary failure of these pumps in the past was because they were only rated to handle 200*f and were intended to be pumping cool diesel that would help cool the pump rather than heated WVO that heats the pump. The new design is rated for 400*f.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Clay, I looked on the BFT website and I couldn't find a standalone pump. When you say BFT you mean biofuelstechnologies.com, right? Do you have any more info on the updates done to the pump or where you got your information. Can you get the FASS pump that is rated to 400* directly from FASS or anywhere else besides BFT?

I'm not going to lie, I would rather buy a pump and be done with it. I just can't get myself to spend 350+ on a pump that is expected to fail. I would rather spend 700 on a pump that I know will last. I don't want to me on a 2k mile trip and have to worry about a pump going out on me.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons124 View Post
Clay, I looked on the BFT website and I couldn't find a standalone pump. When you say BFT you mean biofuelstechnologies.com, right? Do you have any more info on the updates done to the pump or where you got your information. Can you get the FASS pump that is rated to 400* directly from FASS or anywhere else besides BFT?

I'm not going to lie, I would rather buy a pump and be done with it. I just can't get myself to spend 350+ on a pump that is expected to fail. I would rather spend 700 on a pump that I know will last. I don't want to me on a 2k mile trip and have to worry about a pump going out on me.
Yes, biofuelstechnologies. They sell the pumps a nd No, if you buy one from DPP or FASS its not the high heat rated pump. I got my information from the owner himself. I have a regular FASS and it has over 60k miles on it I think and still going. I also have a brand new spare on the bench. The new spare is the heat rated pump.
BFT is also working on a new pump that completely gets them away from FASS and is customer rebuildable for 100 bucks total.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM

rlyons124 if your looking for an oberdorfer i have a n991-32 w/ a 1/3 hp marathon motor.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 AM

Cashflo, I just picked one up off of eBay. Thanks though, I probably would have taken that one off your hands. Why are you getting rid of yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.