Symptoms of bad or clogged FPR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Symptoms of bad or clogged FPR?

I think I have a bad or clogged fuel pressure regulater. I have oil and diesel coming out of the pump but nothing going into the heads. It gets dark around 430pm here so I gave up for the day.

Symptoms: truck feels like its got a clogged fuel filter so I changed it but got nothing. Parked it, went out next morning and started and ran for about 30 seconds and it died and just cranks. Im pretty sure I have some type of poly build up I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM

what year is the truck? where is the fpr on a greasecar kit?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM

99 f350. The FPR is on a small manifold as it is taken off the fuel bowl and placed on this manifold. I am going to take the manifold off tonight to clean it. I have a good feeling something is clogging it.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 AM

its quite possible.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM

fuel pump was toasting itself into death.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM

d2 or wvo side?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM

Get used to burned up pumps. The Greasecar kit is a complete POS with exception of the tank.

Cant pull VO thru a filter. The 7.3 is not a VW!

If you keep with the GC set up, put plugs on the wires for the fuel pump for quick and frequent pump changes. You may want to consider modifications to the system.

I know, I have re-engineered their messes on the 7.3 a few times, including MINE!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM

tell me how you really feel. There isnt much to "re-engineer" on a greasecar kit since its pretty basic what you are getting and the fact that you could mirror their kit from parts at Lowes. Im sorry it didnt work for you but its working for me and the reason that the fuel pump went out had probably 97% more to do with the fact that it had been on the truck for 223,000 miles and 13 years. I say this because the fuel pump and power steering hose both went out at the same exact time so its not a fair assumption. Not starting a fight but you are saying their Hose in Hose setup is crap, their 6 port manifold is crap and their copilot which lets you monitor oil and coolant temps plus lets switch between either and flush. Also the copilot lets you set your system to run manually or automatically at certain temps.

Why did I take the time to type this? because before I converted I read through a lot of stuff where people would say this company and that company was crap but really it was either 1 particular product or just the way something was set up. This turned me away from converting for a long time and finally I said to hell with it and converted against what everyone else was saying. The only closest thing to perfect is a DFA kit and that costs as much as I paid for my truck so it was out of the question. I can keep going but I wont.

We share a common interest so I take offense when you say something is a complete POS when you have no idea how well its working for me.

bash away

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
Get used to burned up pumps. The Greasecar kit is a complete POS with exception of the tank.

Cant pull VO thru a filter. The 7.3 is not a VW!

If you keep with the GC set up, put plugs on the wires for the fuel pump for quick and frequent pump changes. You may want to consider modifications to the system.

I know, I have re-engineered their messes on the 7.3 a few times, including MINE!

Last edited by erbilabuc; 12-26-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Becoming a GC kit owner for a 7.3 is like wetting your pants. At the moment when you do it, it kind of feels nice and warm, kinda nice, but after you realize what you have done, not so nice.....

Here are the shortcoming that can be easily overcome.....
1) Check that FPR. The VO IS eating it up. The spring is reacting with the oil and the spring seat IS eroding........
2) The steel factory lines are building poly with every mile.
3) Just a heated filter is not enough heat. It is a very good filter set up, but just not enough heat.
4) On D2, you are starving your injectors of fuel......do a search on the effects of that.....how? Open your fuel filter and see how much fuel is in it....it is only half full. The filter is also under a vacuum, and all those fittings and the cover/gasket that were switched around during the conversion that may potentially leak are allowing air into your fuel column......also not so good.
4) 1/4 IDPEX lines HIH cannot provide enough fuel under vacuum, thus, limiting how much fuel volume that can be delivered to the starving #8 injector.
5) If it is an older kit, the vm100 valves are insufficient for supply needs of the fuel. There was a reason they switched the valves. I helped test said valves for the good boys from GC.
6) The location, or rather re-location of the stock vane pump is obserd. That pump was designed to push fuel not pull. It is about 2-3 feet above and the same length away from where it was intended to be located. You will be using a lot of pumps. At $100-$300/each, a FASS HPFP will soon sound like a good value.

Now, Heres what is GOOD about the system....
1) The tank is really well designed IMHO.
2) The HIH system and fittings is second to none.
3) The Co-Pilot is an awesome addition, very reliable and user friendly.
4) The filter set up is excellent. Located well and uses coolant.

Just an opinion shared by a former GC kit owner and the installer of so many GC kits for VW and 7.3's than I can even remember.......Again my opinion, I could be wrong.

You will also notice when I share an opinion about a product or procedure it is based on first hand experiences. Fact is, there is no perfect system. Just some much better than others. Some over engineered, some under engineered and some with no engineering. My opinion is the GC kit for a 7.3 belongs on an Injector Pumped truck like an old 12V Cummins, or a VW. The kit was directly adapted from the VW and Benz with only the tank size and 2 other parts. One being the machined block for the FPR and the block holding the return fuel valve. For $2500 I felt like I got shorted a kiss and a reach around.......But when I bought it, there wasn't really anything else back then, IIRC it was late 2004.

Why did I take the time to post all of this? FOR YOU BENEFIT. I have already fixed all of the issues that were ignored or overlooked in the kit. Them boys have no business selling that kit IMHO for 7.3's... For VW 1.9 ALH engines, YES......powerstrokes and VW BEW engines, ummmm, NO.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 PM

well now that we got that cleared up. I paid 750$ for my "kit" and after reading all the negative things about greasecar kit I jumped at the chance and bought a 26 plate heat exchanger and Raptor pump because I knew from what I read that it was going to need it. I dont like to add to the negative posts because it scares people away from doing this where in a pretty infant industry (wvo kit makers) we need to do a lot to support them. What I mean is that if we dont keep these guys in business by promoting the basic concept then we are f'ing ourselves. For example the raptor pump I bought is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Well thats hoping that the manufacturer is still around x amount of years from now to backup their warranty. But you are right, there is weakness in GC kits but you cant blame the Ford factory fuel pump for and blatantly say that the greasecar kits is a POS because of the ford fuel pump and that is all I was trying to get across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.