propane supplementing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
propane supplementing

Ok felas. I'm gonna be putting a propane injection kit on my truck. 99 7.3. Not looking for all performance from it. It will be set mild, although a. Little extra umf never turned me away lol. Basically looking for fuel milage, after my power pup was unlocked and reloaded with factory spec from bully dog I lost 5 mpg. Not happy at all but anyhow. Just looking for input from anybody experimenting.... the dos.... the donts.... thanks guy, happy strokin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 PM

I am approaching 300k using propane on my truck. I do like it a lot,and I have mine set for economy more than all out performance. With that being said do not put on a propane kit if saving money is the goal.

Will it save any money? Yes it can under certain criteria-cost of propane being the most important. It is the miles needed for the return of investment that dims the light of this idea.

With my research my conclusion was that the only time I actually saved money was when pulling a significant load,IIRC that amounted to .14 cents per mile,yet unloaded was less than .03 cents per mile again dependant on propane cost. The best thing about it in my opinion is that it will stretch out miles between fill-ups as the propane burned decreases the diesel burned.

Divide the cost of the whole propane system and tank by either of those amounts and see how quickly-or not- that money returns to your pocket.

If saving money really is the goal then take the money you would have spent on this propane kit and by a centrifuge,then begin collecting WMO,clean it and mix 50/50 with D2 for fuel. Now your fuel cost is 50% less than before.

I do both propane(300k worth) and WMO(100k worth) and only 1 will save you any substantial amount of money
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 AM

I do both propane(300k worth) and WMO(100k worth) and only 1 will save you any substantial amount of money[/QUOTE]

Is that on the same truck?? If so how is the wmo to burn? do U blend? Any problems with the motor so far??

Sorry to hyjack
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANPOWERSMOKER View Post
I do both propane(300k worth) and WMO(100k worth) and only 1 will save you any substantial amount of money
Is that on the same truck?? If so how is the wmo to burn? do U blend? Any problems with the motor so far??

Sorry to hyjack[/QUOTE]

Yes all on 1 truck.

The propane is a vapor injected into the air intake.

The WMO is a 50/50 mix with D2

427k miles with new injectors before the use of WMO began. I only changed them because I was told that the injector service life was less than 200k. I changed them at 300k and I can't really say that there was any problem with the old injectors.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the imput. The propane will hopefully compliment the overdrive I'm saving for. As for the propane I have the system already. Just not installed. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 PM

On WMO can synthetic be ran? Rotella T6 for example?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 AM

I wouldn't see why not
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM

I like how wmo wont build poly like wvo and it dosent get as thick when its cold.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM

how do you filter WMO? Do you run a 2 tank system or just mix it with D2 and put it in your regular tank? I have about 4 gallons of WMO I am thinking about experimenting with on my diesel generator.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashflo View Post
On WMO can synthetic be ran? Rotella T6 for example?
There are claims out there that synthetic oils resist burning in the combustion chamber.I have never recovered any WMO that was known to be purely synthetic so I can't be sure.I have used a lot of WMO/WATF that I knew nothing about,as long as it is black I use it. Some of the WMO will smoke more than others with straight 30 weight burning the cleanest that I have seen.This 30w oil was being used in an ambulance fleet of 7.3's that seldom saw an oil change under 10k. I was given 14 barrels of this 30w WMO so I got a good read on how it burned.

On a side note it seems as though it might be a good idea to run a full tank of D2 thru the truck from time to time.Last month I got lazy and ran D2 for about 4 tanks. Before that the truck produced more smoke/haze than I liked to see.After the 1st tank of D2 this haze went away.Today I went back to my WMO mix and after 250 miles there is very little visable smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.