Front cover rocks! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front cover rocks!

We started to have some cold mornings here and my switch over times were 7+ miles. Not good.

I went looking for a front cover to try to help my truck warm up faster and keep warm in slow traffic. This thing works very well and it looks better than any goofy thing I can build

WF922-7 | Fia Vinyl Grille Winter Cold Front & Bug Screen Combo

It also comes with a screen for summer use to keep the bugs out. There are 2 little windows on the front that can open and close very easy. The other morning it was 38 when I left my house and I was switching over (at 170 coolant and 155 ish EOT) in 3-4 miles! Before that would be 8 or so miles. Next big thing this cover did was help keep my truck warm when we get into heavy traffic. when its less than 50 out I will drop down to less than 160 EOT really quick in the slow morning crawl. with the cover on I have yet to see anything below 170 EOT even in the slowest traffic.

Install is simple. The snaps are peel and stick. I am going to put some screws through the 4 corners soon just to be safe.

I have run this cover with the 2 windows open (running empty) at 75 degress out and the truck runs fine. It will hang at about 195 to 205 EOT. If it gets much hotter I would take the cover off. Removing it is also simple, just pull it off and the stick on snaps stay in place.

Here is the screen, you get the idea...

the only down side is my girl says my truck looks lame now. she says it looks like I am playing dressup with my truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I have one on my truck too. Once i put it on the truck warms up quicker with hotter heat!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM

That looks pretty much the same as what I have. I need to get mine on soon as well. Getting cold here as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM

what is the cost of one of those. I am seeing drops of 160 degrees to 140 in less then 2 minutes. Im going to wrap my heat exchanger in insulation also to help out.
ok just saw link
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM

its hard to find one for the OBS. i found one once but cant seem to again.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Emergency Services

I ordered mine from these people Alaska Tent & Tarp :: Vehicle Grill Covers

Great to work with...I will have it next week. I hear good things of their quality. It was $70 to my door. I will let y'all know how it is.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Before I order one here is a question: my radiator sticks down past the bumper so is this cover going to be enough just by covering the grill area?
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I had mine made for $30 bucks. It has a zipper down the middle for adjusting air flow. I had a local canvas shop make it for me. Its basically the same one as the alaska tent and tarp one. I bought one from them before and it was great but too much money.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Before I order one here is a question: my radiator sticks down past the bumper so is this cover going to be enough just by covering the grill area?
there will still be some air flow that makes it in from below the cover. this just cuts back a ton of the air and helps the truck run warmer. I am thinking of making some plates or something to cover some more down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
I had mine made for $30 bucks. It has a zipper down the middle for adjusting air flow. I had a local canvas shop make it for me. Its basically the same one as the alaska tent and tarp one. I bought one from them before and it was great but too much money.
I thought about making something out of canvas but after seeing this one for $55 I just ordered it. I could not build one as nice as this and it woudl not be much less either.

I drove home from work the other day and it was 81 out. I left the cover on just to see what would happen. I opened the 2 vents and saw 209 max EOT. Not too bad. I would NOT tow ANYTHING with the cover on. but empty with the windows open you can run it up to 80 deg.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Well I dont have time to order one so me and my wife decided to make a template out of cardboard and cover it with some walmart 3$ cardboard. Did a test run tonight and got Engine coolant to 190 degrees and veggie oil to 120 degrees in about 3 miles which is not bad considering it 35 degrees outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.