Is it worth it to process? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it worth it to process?

Me and a buddy have just started looking into getting a biodiesel processor lately. I was just wondering if it is worth the cost to do such a thing, and how hard it is to get everything set up and running. Between the 2 of us we figured we would use about 150 gallons a month and with diesel being around $3 per gallon we have a few other buddy's that have diesels that might be interested in it if we go through with this plan. I dont think there will be a great supply of it to get around here from local businesses, so we would probably have to buy the cooking oil from a supplier... I have looked at machines on the net for about 3k, and most of the prices on the oil seems to be about $1.50 per gallon. So if anyone can help me out with more information on the pros and cons i would appreciate it, or where i can get oil cheaper I live in the northwest ohio area. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A buddy of mine swears by it but don't buy a prebuilt set, thats a rip off. Study the process, get 2 hot water heaters, a holding tank, hoses, fittings, pump, etc and you might be out about 800.00. Look online for some biodiesel processor plans, there are plenty out there for free but if your going to pay for one, I have heard that the fuel miesters are great.

I suggest that you carry a couple extra fuel filters with you, biodiesel will clean every but if trash out of your tank, lines, fittings, etc. Be prepared to replace a fuel filter on the side of the road though. After the first couple, it cleans it out and you will be fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cost ranges between $1 and $1.50 in my research. but if you have to pay fro oil that will obviously go up. in the winter youll need to blend as bio will crystalize and gel between 30*F and 45*F depending on the feedstock and conversion.

have you looked into wvo systems?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Have the best of both worlds. If you are close to me I have a biodiesel system for sale. I make bio and have a SVO system in my truck. Once you get it going you will wonder why no one else is doing it. Yes: never stopping at a gas station is definitely worth it.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM

What kind of changes do u have to make to run svo rather than running used cooking oil. I understand that if I get the oil from local bus. ill need to filter it, am I going to have to seperate the water to?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 AM

if i needed 150 gal a month i would do wvo. chk out the stickys.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelespinoza View Post
What kind of changes do u have to make to run svo rather than running used cooking oil. I understand that if I get the oil from local bus. ill need to filter it, am I going to have to seperate the water to?

SVO = straight vegetable oil
WVO= Waste vegetable oil
Its the same thing and yes you have to filter and dewater it. I suggest a centrifuge. Even if you are just considering it you should start collecting now. I really would do biodiesel and SVO because your costs of making Biodiesel will reach a significant level if you have to pay for your oil. Remember that it costs around 5$ for 1 gallon of methanol and it takes 1 gallon of methanol to make 5 gallons of biodiesel. Luckily I found a guy that sells bio for 1.50$ a gallon.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM

methanol is more expensive in the winter. here around $4 a gallon. in the summer ive seen it down to $2.90. thats only if its purchased 55 gallons at a time. it goes up significantly if you buy less.

even if you run bio you will need to de-water. water will screw up the conversion process like you wouldnt believe. how far is your average trip?

what i like about wvo is you spin it and its ready to run (with a conversion kit of course) bio you have to wait for. ill eventually make some to run in addition to my wvo system. but for now, i drive 1500 miles a month minimum, wvo is much easier for me. my shortest trip is 40 miles one way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.