Thinking about WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about WVO

I have been reading up about oils, fuels, filtration, and the setup(V3 is what i'd like to do). This all seems really interesting and cool to me. But like anything else with my truck or any of my decisions i need as much info as i can get before i make my decision. So i'm turning to you guys, Clay i've heard is the MAN when it comes to this stuff and by seeing the amount of information he's posted in here on the subject he knows it like the back of his hand. But i don't just want the "Profesionals" information and insight, i want info from all of you, New to it, been doing it, love it hate it, all of you. I wanna know pros and cons, problems you've had, dos and don'ts, tips & tricks, Your experience with it and general info.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide me to make my decision.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM

with your 6.0 Clay is your best resource.

filter with a centrifuge, be anal about it, be sure you have sources before you convert. be sure you have time for the inital setup of the fuel system and your filterign system. this isnt for everyone. if your the type that has the ability to make a process efficient and continually improve youll be fine. learn from our mistakes, dotn re-invent the wheel.

i love it, its awesome. im in the middle of a veggie system upgrade at the moment myself.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM

What he said. Start collecting now, once its done you will wonder why the entire world isnt doing it. Centrifuge is really the best filtering method out there.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 AM

After reading all that i have i actually have been wondering " why aren't there more people that are doing this" I guess alot of people don't have the time or the resources, which i'm still in the process of working out!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSTROKIN' View Post
After reading all that i have i actually have been wondering " why aren't there more people that are doing this" I guess alot of people don't have the time or the resources, which i'm still in the process of working out!
I bought my "upgraded" greasecar kit for 900$ used and shipped to my door. It works great but with the difference in what the other kits are going for I am going to start upgrading it with FPHE and better fuel pump. I just looked at it like buying a lot of gas up front. All of your friends and neighbors will think you are crazy until you have it done and throw a finger to the gas stations.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM

a lot of people eitehr dont have time or motivation, some no practicale application skills, and the rest think it will break your vehicle. i have had many many people tell me it will break my truck. and a few even blame a leaky axel seal on wvo -'i told ya so' kinda person.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
I bought my "upgraded" greasecar kit for 900$ used and shipped to my door. It works great but with the difference in what the other kits are going for I am going to start upgrading it with FPHE and better fuel pump. I just looked at it like buying a lot of gas up front. All of your friends and neighbors will think you are crazy until you have it done and throw a finger to the gas stations.
What do you think of the V3 system? Seems like a great design and kit to me? but then again i'm a WVO newbie How do Engine temps and EGTs differ on WVO?

And rediculous i'm a smart ars so i would have replied with "you are absolutely correct, the type of fuel i run in my motor has a direct correlation to how my axles hold up" some people man....
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Well I technically bought the most inferior "kit" on the market and im fine with that. Its doing what I wanted it to. I even got the copilot with mine. I know its the "inferior" kit and since I got it so cheap I know that I will need to upgrade it which I am fine with. All I know about V3 is it was out of my price range.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM

If you going for a kit the V3 is the best. If you decide to go DIY then model it after the V3 setup. Even though I did a DIY I don't recommend it. Mine works great but it was a ton of work & took ten times as long as a V3 will take to install. I burnt alot of diesel in the extra time it took to get my DIY running.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is make sure you have a solid vehicle to convert.

Get at least one good source but try to get more sources. Sources can dry up just as fast as you get them.

Go with a centrifuge for filtering & dewatering for sure & learn how to test for water( hot pan test or crackle test).

There is alot of work to get going but once you kit is installed & your filtering system is set up it's not bad. Bewteen collecting & processing oil I spend about 3 hours per week. With the money I save on fuel that time is very well spent. Plus I like doing it. IMO that's the reason why more people aren't doing this. You have to enjoy it for more then saving $$$ to stick with it. I think its great that most people think VO will break your engine. The more that think that way= less competition for oil sources = more oil for me. So don't try to convince the nay sayers any different.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Ive had 3 friends in last 2 days come over and ask me to explain to them the entire process of centrifuging and how I converted my truck. Same response from all 3 is "why arent more people doing this?"... my answer= I say the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.