Dead head v.s. return - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead head v.s. return

I am starting to plan my custom wvo system and I don't know if I should do a dead head system or a return line system. I plan on taking everything out between the tank and the heads and starting fresh. From what I have read, both have their advantages and disadvantages. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i vote return. few more parts but might be worth it. ill still technically have a dead head, bothmy oil and D2 will enter the back of the heads (OBS) and coeme out the front. a solenoid will be closed until i push a purge button, which will feed to a tee just before the wvo pump. im not planning on major performance with this truck, and what im putting on is better than stock anyway. with a stock truck im not sure it matters too much either way.

if you do a full return, youll need a good solenoid to switch when you switch pumps.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM

What vehicle are you converting?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM

99 E350. All stock right now. The only performance upgrades I plan are a small chip/program, exhaust and a different air filter/intake tube. I plan on doing the exhaust and intake for a better sounding exhaust and turbo whistle. Not looking for a huge power gain out of them.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Here are a couple points to consider.

1) If a Regulated return is used, be aware that it takes a lot more heat to achieve safe operating temps. Even if it is a closed loop, a large FPHE will be required to get the oil hot enough. ALL heat must be in the oil before it goes ito the heads because the fuel goes thru the heads so fast that it does not have time to heat up.

2) A regulated return is not really necessary with stock injectors.

3) Remember a return valve will be required, howver, it makes for super fast purge times with a regulated return.

4) If a RR is used, I highly recomend the closed loop system with return fuel directed pre-pump, and then thru the system. Plumbed in this fashion, shorter filter life will be experienced because ALL fuel must go thru the filter, most likely numerous times.

5) A RR makes for a very quiet injection with large single shots, I like it for that.......

I run a regulated return on D2 and VO. I'm gathering parts for the GF's Ex while the tank is being fabbed. I will not be running a RR on that truck until stage 2's go in, if I every do it
Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM

vegginpsd

I have 2 questions. Do you know why a RR makes a quieter injection. Do you know how long a RR set up takes to purge and how long a dead head system takes to purge.

For me it, the 2 most important things are making the system as simple as possible and getting the wvo hot and keeping it hot.

I feel like a dead head would do both of these things. Quick question about the RR. When you are purging and you have the D2 flowing into the head and the purge valve open are you just forcing wvo/D2 back into the wvo tank. I imagine you don't have the wvo pump running at this time. Am I correct with all of this? Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons124 View Post
vegginpsd

I have 2 questions. Do you know why a RR makes a quieter injection. Do you know how long a RR set up takes to purge and how long a dead head system takes to purge.

For me it, the 2 most important things are making the system as simple as possible and getting the wvo hot and keeping it hot.

I feel like a dead head would do both of these things. Quick question about the RR. When you are purging and you have the D2 flowing into the head and the purge valve open are you just forcing wvo/D2 back into the wvo tank. I imagine you don't have the wvo pump running at this time. Am I correct with all of this? Thanks for your help everyone.

R/R is quieter because all 8 injectors are maintaining a consistent and constant pressure and volume.

Purge- R/R---Seconds. Deadhead----Minutes if it all ever clears out.

WVO is forced out of the heads by D2 fuel pressure resulting a minimal amount of D2 in the VO tank, ensuring all vo is clear of the system. A good purge also ensures that cold VO does not get injected into the cylinders at switchover. The VO pump is off during purge.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Were could i find pics of both Dead head and a return system to compare them??
Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to muns53
Mike - does a regulated return eliminate the pressure spikes at start-up we get with the split-shot injectors in a deadheaded system?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns53 View Post
Mike - does a regulated return eliminate the pressure spikes at start-up we get with the split-shot injectors in a deadheaded system?
I dont recall having this issue when I had stock injectors......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.