Blending with heat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blending with heat?

Iv been doing alot of reading and have plenty more to do but i would like to convert my obs to run a filterd, heated wvo/kero blend in the rear tank ( or aux tank if and when poly becoms a problem). The way i was going to run the system was to start on #2 from front tank, while running #2 to warm the truck i would have 2 electric inline fuel heaters and a hot fox in the wvo/blend tank to warm things up. 3 Inline temp gaudges at different points of the fuel system would give me the fuel temps. This is a rough idea i had that needs refining, but the whole idea would be that the kero in the wvo/kero blend would be 20/80, 50/50, and 80/20 depending on outdoor temp, and would reduce the viscosity also the added heat would insure good fuel temps around 100* befor it gets to the fuel bowl. i feel the added kero would allow lower temps into the heads but i dont know of any formulas to figur out exactly how the added % of kero will effect the burn to temp ratio of the blend. I know 160* is were u want to be with 100% wvo befor heads????
finally i would purg on d2..

Any body try a converstion like this??
Brenden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 11:20 AM

We dont reccomend contaminating the fuel bowl. it makes flushing impossible. also, skip the electric heat, use the coolant. build an HIH, its free heat the truck already produces.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM

I second what RN said. I have never been a fan of blending either. I know many say they have done it for years with no problems but it's not for me. Keep the fuels seperate & build a good 2 tank system.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM

how long, how many miles dose it take u guys to heat up the wvo to 160* say on a 65* day using coolent, and how long to purg with ur "full" wvo conversions??
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=ridiculously_necessary;2127871]We dont reccomend contaminating the fuel bowl. it makes flushing impossible. QUOTE]

Ok i agree, with a seperet pump, and seperet lines going to the head would a heated blend be ok?? we all know the vo gets heated to reduce viscosity, well added kero sould reduce viscosity as well but i feel starting and stoping on cold blend is no good (ring cooking ex) but heating the blend should work ?? a blend should reach d2 viscosity in less time with less heat than 100%wvo right??

Last edited by TANPOWERSMOKER; 10-14-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM

[quote=TANPOWERSMOKER;2127937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
We dont reccomend contaminating the fuel bowl. it makes flushing impossible. QUOTE]

Ok i agree, with a seperet pump, and seperet lines going to the head would a heated blend be ok?? we all know the vo gets heated to reduce viscosity, well added kero sould reduce viscosity as well but i feel starting and stoping on cold blend is no good (ring cooking ex) but heating the blend should work ?? a blend should reach d2 viscosity in less time with less heat than 100%wvo right??
makes sense, i would think it would be ok. dotn know much about it. i would assume with heat your fine.

at 65* at about 65mph it takes my 95 4 miles? maybe 5? when its 15* it takes closer to 10 or 12. at 90* maybe 2. iv found no amount of stock speed idling will ever get it up to temp, even if its 105*
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM

im all for a full wvo converstion but i have a 11 mi drive to work 1 way and normaly not alot of highway time or no long drives so im better off with bio but its alot more time consuming than wvo witch turns me off to it, thats why id like to find a way to get my wvo temps up fast using extra electric heated lines and blending kero. i was thinking of using a smaller tank 15-20 gal with 2 hot fox and the tank place ment would be in the bed between tool box and rear window and sit inside the stacks. I was also thinking of running a 2" exaust pipe thru the middle of the tank and it would be welded into both stacks for extra heat?? Also with a known ratio of added kero i think i could start burning the wvo blend at a lower temp like 100* 120* I need to find/or fig out a formula that i can use that shows me a blend ratio vs viscosity to temp.

(any blending i do will be with kero, or diesel depends on the cheaper one, I WILL NEVER USE GAS. I HATE THE IDEA OF GAS IN ANY DIESEL MOTOR)

For example ??? (Theres smoke coming out my ears...... lol)

100% wvo must be 160* befor it enters the heads, right
If you had say a 50/50 blend of kero/wvo could it be safly burnt and enter the heads at 80*???? idk
Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM

the entire tank doesnt need to be up to temp. Just the area at the pickup does. Most vehicles at normal operating temps are right in between 180-190 degrees at idle in 90 degree weather.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
the entire tank doesnt need to be up to temp. Just the area at the pickup does. Most vehicles at normal operating temps are right in between 180-190 degrees at idle in 90 degree weather.
ok , i thought the whole tank would have to be at 160*

U cant use a stock steel tank bc of poly right??
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 AM

correct, steel = poly. you could fashion an electric heat solution, sure. need to find a way to heat the lines going into the heads, and probably some sort of line heater before that...

the head will be warm after a couple minutes, warm enough with a mix? dunno. might be a good expiriement.

exhaust tube in your oil would take the oil from cold to nuclear in notime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.