OBS Electric Fuel Conversion and WVO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS Electric Fuel Conversion and WVO

I've got a 1997 OBS and a new Vegistroke system on order, but with the recent owner switch the OBS Vegistroke kit is no longer available. So, I'm covered on the veggie side, but I'm trying to figure out the electric fuel pump conversion on the diesel side. I think I understand that I need to create a deadhead type system for the diesel side. It seems most people recommend getting rid of the stock fuel bowl (although that doesn't seem to be what DFA did in their kit according to the installation instructions).

I'd like to make this an inexpensive conversion while still maintaining reliability. Easy to find replacement parts (filters, pumps, etc) is also a huge plus. I should also mention that I'm not concerned with power upgrades.

My main question is do I need to use a regulated pump (FASS or Raptor) or can I use a less expensive pump (like the 99+ Superduty) with an inline regulator? If so, which regulator would work? I notice when most people (without a wvo system) do this conversion, they do a regulated return with something like an Aeromotive regulator. However, I need to do my pressure regulation on the feed side because I'm going to be using my return ports on the block for WVO with the Vegistroke. Would an Aeromotive still work?

Basically I'm looking at doing it like this guy (scroll halfway down), but without the regulated return. I've researched quite a bit, but I'm still confused so your help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the easist thing to do would be an internally regulated pump like the FASS or Raptor. in fact that is what i would reccomend if your using the return ports for vo. install the pump and be done. you can use an SD pump and Aeromotive regualtor but that adds complexity and parts. i will be deleting my fuel bowl (optional), and using two regualted pumps, vo and d2.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM

I did an electric fuel system conversion on my d2 side to create two dead head fuel systems (d2 and svo). I did go ahead and use an internally regulated pump. I'm not sure if inline regulators work well on the feed side or if they need to be on the return.

Here is a link to what I did. I later added a purge valve on the SVO side.

Electric fuel system upgrade on veg conversion.

My electric fuel system conversion, including fuel bowl delete (good move), was based on this writeup. Easy to follow instructions, easy to get parts. Two thumbs up on this one. It used the stock banjo bolt and fuel lines, which greatly eases the installation.

97-Stroker - Electric Fuel Install
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post

the easist thing to do would be an internally regulated pump like the FASS or Raptor. in fact that is what i would reccomend if your using the return ports for vo. install the pump and be done. you can use an SD pump and Aeromotive regualtor but that adds complexity and parts. i will be deleting my fuel bowl (optional), and using two regualted pumps, vo and d2.

Thanks for the welcome! Curious, what will you be using for your water separator and filter?

I see what you mean about the FASS or Raptor being simpler, but it seems it would be about half the price to do a SD pump and pressure regulator.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I did an electric fuel system conversion on my d2 side to create two dead head fuel systems (d2 and svo). I did go ahead and use an internally regulated pump. I'm not sure if inline regulators work well on the feed side or if they need to be on the return.

Here is a link to what I did. I later added a purge valve on the SVO side.

Electric fuel system upgrade on veg conversion.

My electric fuel system conversion, including fuel bowl delete (good move), was based on this writeup. Easy to follow instructions, easy to get parts. Two thumbs up on this one. It used the stock banjo bolt and fuel lines, which greatly eases the installation.

97-Stroker - Electric Fuel Install
Charlie,
Thanks for the super helpful links! It looks like you just used the Napa 4770 base and filter before the Raptor and nothing post pump. In my link above for "Tim's" electric fuel conversion, he uses a Racor water separator before the pump and a Napa 4770 base with filter after the pump. Do you think the Racor is necessary?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanderson View Post
Charlie,
Thanks for the super helpful links! It looks like you just used the Napa 4770 base and filter before the Raptor and nothing post pump. In my link above for "Tim's" electric fuel conversion, he uses a Racor water separator before the pump and a Napa 4770 base with filter after the pump. Do you think the Racor is necessary?
No problem, glad they're helpful!

On the d2 side, I did not use any filter prepump, and I used the NAPA 4770 post pump. I give up water separation by doing that, but I decided that it wasn't that big of a deal since I use so little diesel. If you wanted both, you could buy two bases, put a water separator prepump and then the filter post pump.

On the SVO side, I use a Racor 1000 prepump. That filter needs to be on the suction side (both because of pressure and to maintain the water block feature).

Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No problem, glad they're helpful!

On the d2 side, I did not use any filter prepump, and I used the NAPA 4770 post pump. I give up water separation by doing that, but I decided that it wasn't that big of a deal since I use so little diesel. If you wanted both, you could buy two bases, put a water separator prepump and then the filter post pump.

On the SVO side, I use a Racor 1000 prepump. That filter needs to be on the suction side (both because of pressure and to maintain the water block feature).

Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help.
Ah, now I'm starting to understand. I may be running quite a bit of diesel at first while I'm trying to perfect my filtration setup, so I'll probably want a bit more water protection. I'm a little confused when you say buy two bases. Do you mean two Napa 4770's (with different filter elements, one for water separation and one for filtering) or one Napa 4770 and one of something else to separate water (like a Racor)? I want to have good water protection without being overkill.

Sorry if these are remedial questions, I'm a fuel system newb.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Ah, now I'm starting to understand. I may be running quite a bit of diesel at first while I'm trying to perfect my filtration setup, so I'll probably want a bit more water protection. I'm a little confused when you say buy two bases. Do you mean two Napa 4770's (with different filter elements, one for water separation and one for filtering) or one Napa 4770 and one of something else to separate water (like a Racor)? I want to have good water protection without being overkill.

Sorry if these are remedial questions, I'm a fuel system newb.
Yes, I mean two napa bases. On the prepump side, you would put a 130 micron (or so) water separator, then on the pressure side you would put a 10 or 15 micron filter.

Water separation only works on the vacuum side, while fine filtration works best on the pressure side, hence two separate filters.

Pick your poison on what you use. I would suggest something bomber like the Racor 1000 for the WVO side. On the D2 side, the napa bases / filters will work just fine.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I mean two napa bases. On the prepump side, you would put a 130 micron (or so) water separator, then on the pressure side you would put a 10 or 15 micron filter.

Water separation only works on the vacuum side, while fine filtration works best on the pressure side, hence two separate filters.

Pick your poison on what you use. I would suggest something bomber like the Racor 1000 for the WVO side. On the D2 side, the napa bases / filters will work just fine.
Excellent, I didn't realize that the Napa bases could be used for both applications! That's good news because they're pretty inexpensive.

As far as my WVO side, shouldn't I be covered for water separation with the Vegistroke system?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

As far as my WVO side, shouldn't I be covered for water separation with the Vegistroke system?
hmmm...I don't know much about the v3. Other guys on here know a lot more. But, I think you're right that the v3 comes with all the filters you'll need as long as you have a solid in home filtration setup, too.

I have a bit of a different setup because I have my rig setup to filter on-board. That's controversial around here and different than what a lot of guys do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.