cheap DIY WVO/WMO for a IDI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cheap DIY WVO/WMO for a IDI

Does anyone have plans for a cheap(removable would be great) 100% WVO/WMO kit that would work on a pre-powerstroke 6.9 or 7.3? my plan is to buy a cheap(most likely pretty rusty ect) IDI and run it on either WVO or WMO(dont know which yet) and when i get enough cash for a better condition IDI I will transplant the system to the new truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you are looking for a cheap kit to transfer off the IDI to a newer truck, its probably best that you design it yourself. you going to end up changing out and adding several components anyway when you move to a newer truck. all the kits our there are vehicle and engine specific.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I'm going to stick with the IDI just going from a, let's say a 1985 too a 1993
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM

greasecar and gfs have kits. maybe frybrid. for the most part you could move the kit over. would need minimal repalcment fittings an such i would think. im not too familiar with the old IDI's but know setup should be a snap. if your up to it, you could probably build your own kit under $600.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
you could probably build your own kit under $600.
this is exactly what i want to do. I'v looked at all thoughs kits and there out of my reach, plus i like building things. I just need to find a set of plans so I can buy a truck, and start putting it together.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM

first find a truck, or plan on a truck that you want to buy, then build the plans according to the trucks fuel system. maybe someone on here knows a bit about the old 7.3 and 6.9 IDI fuel systems that can lend a hand.

i would imagine you would need to splice in to the fuel like at the IP, which may mean you might need an electric lift pump. then for the wvo side a wvo pump. i assume 7-15 psi is what were talking? nothing much... a hose in hose and tank, then electrical. just a brief idea of what i envision, again hopefully someone who actually knows the IDI will chime in.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, i'v looked all over and can't find any plans for idi's heck powerstroke plans are all over. But I like the fact that the idi's are all mechanical, and relatively cheap(both to buy and repair) compared to the powerstroke's. Plus i'v also read their more tolerant to WMO/WVO. That's why I picked the idi.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM

good deal. get to know the fuel system, how it works. youll be able to inform amny of us! good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.