whats the best way to rig my 6.0 for cheap fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats the best way to rig my 6.0 for cheap fuel

I have a 2005 6.0 I want to use some cheaper fuel cause I am a collage student and I drive about 400 to 500 miles a week what can I do that will not be bad for my truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is the best way or the cheapest way?

What is you budget? Its going to cost you a bunch up front to burn that cheap fuel.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Agreed. Regardless if you choose biodiesel or SVO (straight vegetable oil), you're going to have several thousand dollars in up-front costs to get you up and running.

However, if you're putting about 25k miles on your rig each year, your investment will pay for itself in about that same time. After that, its money in the bank.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM

ok so what is the best set up I don't really want to spend hours of time per tank to refine the oil I have tried that people were taking my oil and containers before I picked it up I would like to be able to pump straight oil... HOW CAN I?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 AM

If you're asking if its possible to safely run SVO without processing your oil beforehand......I won't beat around the bush -- its not.

That being said, I have a person locally who collects considerably more oil than he can use and I buy 250-300 gallons from him every 4-6 weeks. Might be an option for you. I don't have to mess with collecting, people stealing my oil or barrels, etc. After I have the oil back at my house, I can process 50 gallons every 72 hours (heat, settle, and filter) with maybe 20 minutes of my time invested.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsexy6.0 View Post
ok so what is the best set up I don't really want to spend hours of time per tank to refine the oil I have tried that people were taking my oil and containers before I picked it up I would like to be able to pump straight oil... HOW CAN I?
You can pump right from the dumpster to your tank. Yes you can but you will mess the truck up in no time and that free fuel now will cost you a bunch of money. dont believe everything you see and hear....

to do it right you will need $2-$3k for a CF setup and $2-$3k for a DIY setup on your truck or $4-$5k for a DFA kit. so to do it right and get started you are looking at maybe 4k DIY or 6k with a kit. Is that in your budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
That being said, I have a person locally who collects considerably more oil than he can use and I buy 250-300 gallons from him every 4-6 weeks. Might be an option for you. I don't have to mess with collecting, people stealing my oil or barrels, etc. After I have the oil back at my house, I can process 50 gallons every 72 hours (heat, settle, and filter) with maybe 20 minutes of my time invested.
This is why I buy my oil also. I get really good clean oil from a fryer company. I usually buy about 500 gal at a time. I call my guy a month in advance and tell him to save me 500 gal and I go get it all at once. no messing with the junk in the dumpsters or all the snot. works good for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.