Bio or WVO ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bio or WVO ??

okay guys i am really on the fence here.... i have been doing a lot of research into either going with BD or a WVO set up... In reality my interest is to come up with the simplest and cheapest way to run a cheaper (meaning free!!!) fuel in my rig.

Running WVO in my truck is appealing because it basically requires very little processing of the oil. It does however require an expensive mod to my rig to be able to run it. I like the DIY applications in the sticky's, but you are still talking about some coin.

Bio is appealing because it doesn't require any mods to the truck at all. Just pour it in and go! It does require a more lengthy processing of the WVO, and a processor. Although i can build a processor for probably like $500. I am in the Northeast though so running straight bio in the winter months would probably not be an option. In jan and feb it normally is below 20, with some nights reaching 0 !!!!

Another thought it to run a combination of both systems. Sense i already have a dual tank setup why couldn't i set up one tank to run D2, and install a tank heater in the other and run Bio in the other?? This might solve the winter temp issue??

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats your driving situation like? short trips? long trips? (i.e. 10 miles vs 40+)

you are correct, if you build a wvo system, you can run both fuels in the winter.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

I drive about 45 miles one way to work every day. i do make some short trips every now and then.

Another question, we are already have a dual tank setup on our OBS, why couldn't i use one for BIO/WVO and the other for D2?? I know there is the cross contamination, but whats the harm in that?? i have read the some guys are blending D2 with WVO as sort of an anti-freeze?? Both my tanks on my truck are leaking right now anyway, so my thought is to use the stock locations for new tanks. i can get a 38gal for the rear, which would be the Bio/wvo tank. That would get the tank heater, the new heated pickup.... the other tank would be like 16 gal and used only for D2. I already have the selector switch in the cab, and i think i have enough brain power to remember to purge the bio/wvo out before i shut her down. Just a thought??
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 AM

wvo sounds like the plan for you. i run bd cause my rt is 3 miles.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 AM

thats the way mine was set up. the tanks back there are steel and will react with wvo and poly. a rubbery substance that will cause issues. its happened to mine. im moving to an in-bed L-tank. its aluminum which doesnt cause poly formation. plastic should work too.

i think bio would be fine though, but i hear that heated bio can cause poly too. i dont know that from expirience though, its just something ive heard.

you can mix D2 into wvo to thin it out in the winter, but youll still need a heated system. some people mix wvo and d2 and run it straight but no one here reccomends that. a guy on greasecar has been doing that a while and is currently having issues. we reccomend keeping the fuels seperate. generally its ok for D2 to get into wvo, but not vice versa.

i will be ditching my fuel system and doing a parallel system as soon as i can get my hands on some pumps.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 AM
I don't know nuttin....

A batch of bio will take several hours of your time. Thats the main thing that turns off most people AFTER they have already bit the bullet and biult a bio processor. A year of spending 8 hours making a batch of fuel that still cost you 1.00-1.25 per gallon to make will get old fast. If your drive to work is 45 miles, you will see a payoff of a vegi system in short order.
Go with a vegistroke or similar heated WVO system.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Another factor no one has yet to touch on is this- If you have multiple diesel automobiles or machines Bio may be a better option. With that being said, we own 2 jettas and a PSD the clear decision for me was still WVO. I live in a cold climate and would not be able to run Bio in concentrations that I would like in the winter. This fact lead me to WVO converted vehicles. If I ran B100 year around it would require fuel system alteration anyway, so why bother with Bio.....

Whatever you do choose to do, make the investment in a good quality gravity fed CF. You will thank me if you do.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
thats the way mine was set up. the tanks back there are steel and will react with wvo and poly. a rubbery substance that will cause issues. its happened to mine. im moving to an in-bed L-tank. its aluminum which doesnt cause poly formation. plastic should work too.

i think bio would be fine though, but i hear that heated bio can cause poly too. i dont know that from expirience though, its just something ive heard.

you can mix D2 into wvo to thin it out in the winter, but youll still need a heated system. some people mix wvo and d2 and run it straight but no one here reccomends that. a guy on greasecar has been doing that a while and is currently having issues. we reccomend keeping the fuels seperate. generally its ok for D2 to get into wvo, but not vice versa.

i will be ditching my fuel system and doing a parallel system as soon as i can get my hands on some pumps.

So you are currently running WVO in one tank and straight D2 in the other?? Both my tanks are leaking now so they either need to be replaced or repaired. Was thinking the front tank would be for D2 and the rear for WVO. I have a buddy that's a welder and could weld me up a custom alum tank for the cost of materials. Was thinking Diamond Plate would look sweet out back where the spare tire used to be. I was checking out your diagram and it seems like a pretty simple build... Could you send me a parts list possibly? And where you picked everything up??
Old 08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Also i thought i read that stock SD pumps will wirk with WVO?? Is that correct?? Something like this........ 99 00 01 02 03 7.3 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Fuel Pump: eBay Motors (item 370406731611 end time Sep-08-10 13:32:29 PDT)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Also i thought i read that stock SD pumps will wirk with WVO?? Is that correct?? Something like this........ 99 00 01 02 03 7.3 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Fuel Pump: eBay Motors (item 370406731611 end time Sep-08-10 13:32:29 PDT)

Um, NO. Stock SD pumps will not handle VO very long at all. In fact you should buy a SD pump for the D2 side because the mechanical pump on an OBS aint worth a damn either for VO. Also a SD filter housing. Twin parallel fuel systems employing electric pumps on both sides is best.

Search, read, and re-read posts in this forum. There is a tremendous amount of quality information here. The OBS trucks are a bit more challenging to convert, however not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. A good start would be to convert the truck to an all electric D2 system fashioned after a SD. That is actually the hardest part. From there it is pretty straight forward.

Parts and ideas available in the following link:
DIY WVO Components
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.