Racor 1000fh, wvo filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Racor 1000fh, wvo filter

Any one stuck one of this big boys under their hood yet? http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/i...r/pr1402_L.jpg

I'm thinking about sliding mine down between the radiator and the passenger side battery. I'll need to relocate the tranny? coolant lines and a wiring harness. Then it looks like I could fab up a bracket to bolt to the battery tray/brace.

I'm thinking it will be a TIGHT fit, but I really like this filter and want it out of my bed.

The only problem I see so far is getting access to the water drain bowl, looks like it will be real close to the frame.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Hey Aaron,

I think it would be worth checking in with Charlie at goldenfuels about this one. He drives an excursion and I think he mounts his along the frame rail somewhere. That might take less customizing and he might have a bracket already fabbed up for that.

Also, enviofuel uses these for many of their conversions. They are nice, really helpful folks, so you could check in with them, too.

Why do you want it out of the bed? I run two of them and have one bolted to each side of my tank in the bed of the truck. Are you trying to use that space for something else?

They are big dogs, but I love what they do!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Hey Aaron,
Are you trying to use that space for something else?
Yeah, it's original purpose.

My filter is bolted to the rear (or some call it front) of the bed behind my tool box. The HOH lines come up through the bottom of the bed.

The HOH is my real headache. I run a remodeling business so I'm continually carting around 4x8 sheet goods, 2x material, and debris. ALL of which love to slide over by my hoses and worry me to death. I could just build a guard, but I want full bed usage.

I would love to be able to shut my tailgate when hauling sheet goods (especially OSB, that stuffs slippery) and not worry about a load shooting out the back and into the road when I hit the throttle.

I've talked to Charlie and he mounts the Racor to the frame rail and provides an access door on the floor board in the rear. There is TONS of frame rail space on my LWB but I like the heat and protection offered by an under hood mounting location. Plus I figure if I relocate the filter, I'm going to do it in "THE BEST" way possible according to me brackets are no problem for me, I spent 8yrs as a Ground Support Mechanic (GSE) both while in the USMC and then as a civilian contractor for Lockheed Martin. I'm a master fabricator, very used to making do.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 AM

IMHO, this is the best filter for DIY application. It will mount to the alternator or A/C mount. Uner the hood, hot as hell, and easy to change. Off the shelf filters spin on effortlessly.

Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

Easy to relicate yourself too. I make them for VW's and trucks.

HOH from tank to filter, mount pump in the space between the battery and engine on either side. I prefer underhood to keep things warm and clean. There is adequate spave for a FPHE and pump just over the I/C tube on either side.

I have best luck not trying to draw oil through a filter. Pressureize the filter for best performance. Water block filters are not something to count on. Dewater before the fuel goes into the tank, and push fuel throuh a hot filter. Hot coolant is your friend!

"Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong"......quote fromDennis Miller
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
brackets are no problem for me, I spent 8yrs as a Ground Support Mechanic (GSE) both while in the USMC and then as a civilian contractor for Lockheed Martin. I'm a master fabricator, very used to making do.
In that case, I've got a few projects for you to work on as well!

It does seem like right up front will be the best location so that you can still drain the fuel bowl. On the frame rail will expose it to lots of cold air and slush in the winter time. FWIW I've wrapped my filter with coolant line and that has worked well to keep everything warm.

The only other idea I can think of would be to mount it directly beneath the bed with an access door in the bed for changing filters. That could keep it a little higher up and more protected than on the frame rail while giving you more space to work with than in the engine bay.

Good luck and I'll be interested to hear what you do with it!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM

I just realized that these are OBS trucks. Lots of room in the engine bay on them compared to a SD, so I would for sure o under the hood.....
Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
"Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong"......quote fromDennis Miller
havent seen that show in years. miss the rants.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 AM

My Vormax VO coolant heated filter head is mounted under driver's door bolted to outside frame rail. I use the Racor R90T (10 micron) filter. Access is easy. Draining it is easy and it gets plenty hot under there. I purchased a 12v heating pad that's wrapped around the filter for winter use. It's on its own dash switch. I have no room under my hood for a filter head the size of a Vormax. I see no reason why a frame rail mount won't work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.