Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Storing Bio-Diesel

829 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chicken man 
#1 ·
I have a guy near me that makes and sells bio fuel. I would like to run maybe 75% diesel/25% bio. Anyway, to save a trip to his house every time I fuel up I want to buy it in bulk. My question is is it bad for bio to be stored in a metal fuel tank outside for extended periods of time? How long can it sit there without separating and what not? How would temperature affect it?
Thanks, I am completely new to the bio game and know nothing about it. The supplier runs 75% bio in his 7.3 and has had no problems after approx. 50,000miles of running it. His son also runs it 50/50 in his 7.3 and seems to perform fine (I ride in his truck often). I would probably stick to a 75/25 mix or so to see how it works out....just looking to save some $$$$ on fuel.

#2 ·
steel fuel tank or steel 55 gal drums? I'm not sure I would store it in metal drums, get some plastic 55 gal drums or a 300 gal tote (plastic). The thing with steel drums is some have a spray coating inside to prevent rust and the bio will strip that off and then you have pieces of that crap that will need filtered out. I have seen this fist hand in my buddies bio processing barrels.

#3 ·
It is a 300 gallon steel tank with a filter and pump on it... Work or should I invest on a plastic container?

Thanks for the quick reply Clay.

#4 ·
I agree with Clay that plastic is the answer. I've seen 275 gal plastic totes on craigslist from $50->$150. Just have to get lucky. As for storage, the best place is dark and cool and sealed from air. Storing it in the sun may cause condensation to form in the tank/tote at night which is bad. BioD should last 6 months no problem.

#5 ·
Plastic is the way to go. You would change the filter way to often in the steel tank and most likely still end up with trash in your truck do to the boi breaking it down. I haven't had any problem with mine as long as the temp out stays above 35dF. Starts to gell below that. I usually mox 30% petro fuel to 70% boi during the winter in AL and have no problem. I run my 7.3 on b100 as well as my tractors and they love it. My 6.0 doesn't. Still working on that. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.