Home Made Veggie Tank Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Home Made Veggie Tank Question

How hard is it to make a custom veggie tank. I have a regular tool box in the bed that i dont want to loose and the DF tool box is too small. I would like a flat tank to go under the tool box or a L shape one to go under and up on the back like this.

this under or upright behind the tank

with either one i know i would have to cut it open and add the internals like the sending unit and heater lines.

this might work but same idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm interested to see what you find. I'm faced with the same situation. I don't already have a toolbox,but the ones offered are a joke. I'd like to have a 80-100 gallon capacity, and a decent toolbox.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

tractor supply has an alum L shaped tool box tank. its like the one you pictured. actually you could just get the L tank and put it behind/under your tool box and that should be fine. By the time you spend the money making one it will be easier and cheaper to get one from northern tool or tractor supply.

I agree the ones from RDS are stupid. I have one and the tool box is only a few inches deep. hardly enough room for much of anything.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im going to have a local company over here make me an aluminum tank as big as possible for the bed of my 450 when I get ready to install the V3 I have on it.

It will just have the standard holes for: fill neck, fuel pickup tube, and float.
Most decent tanks will have those holes.

Then Ill just add a hot fox to the pickup hole.
Hot Fox Fuel Warmer, Adapters & Parts

It wont heat as much as a heated DFA tank from RDS, but It'll be enough for my application.

You could just look for a decent used aluminum L tank and add a hot fox IF thats ehough heat for you.

I got a used RDS 95 gal L tank for $400 with a nice transfer pump on it about a month ago... You could prolly find one for that or cheaper without the pump.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

plus the ones from df are 1k anyway. so thats why i was askin on these tanks.

that hot fox, i was thinkin of like 2-3 of em daisy chained since one doesnt seem to work enough on these size tanks.

or cut the top off and just put some line into the tank so its lower than the hot foxes.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 AM

Here in texas 1 hotfox will be fine. About the only time it would not be ok is during the cold winters (30s) and with lard for oil. I ran around all this winter with creamy fry oil (pretty thick in the 30s and 40s) and my truck ran just fine. I have a hotfox and a 90 gal tank. You can also add some diesel to the VO tank and that will also thin the mix some. Remember the tank heater only heats the oil enough to let it flow. The heat exchanger(s) do the rest.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I cant really picture how you'd daisy chain hot foxs together.....its basically a heated pickup tube. If you want more heat, maybe add one of these FPHE in the fuel line.

I believe they are around $200 a piece as well, so spending 600 on hot foxs + the price of the tank doesnt seem like a good idea to me. For that $$ you could prolly have a custom heated tank built.

I would try to avoid cutting tanks open and re-welding them (personally)

For me - I think the hotfox, HOH, the V3, the heads will be enough heat.

Plus, my 450 goes on longer road trips usually.
If I was somewhere it was freezing cold and I was really concerned about it....Id just run on D2 for the first 30mins of my trip or something, to heat everything up real good.

Last edited by Tampa450; 07-05-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

oh. i didnt know hot fox is a heated pickup tube. just thought it was a heated rod into the tank for heating. not a flow through tube.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to muns53
You can check out WVODesigns, too - he has a new heated fuel pickup he designed. Better price than the HotFox, I believe.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 AM

i had the same issue. found a 105 gallon l-tank, aluminum, i will be using one fo the fill ports and building my own hot fox. accordign to my own measurements i can use a drill press in the filler cap, 2x 5/8" holes and one 3/8". mcmaster and also ebay have hand bendable tubing available. this way i get the correct length of tubing for the tank depth. i can spiral the tubing up to 2 1/8" inches in diameter to fit through the hole.

5/8" tubing - about $40 for 21' (coolant)
3/8" tubing - about $30 for 21' (fuel) iirc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.