Waiting on the V3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Waiting on the V3

Hello All,

So I ordered the V3 on April 1st, expecting to get it within two to three weeks. Its now looking like it might not arrive until mid May. If it wasn't held in such high regard on this forum, I would be a little concerned. Because I spend around $100/week on fuel, its starting to feel like an expensive delay. Oh well, I understand that there are some things nobody can control. Since I have this time until the v3 arrives I thought maybe some of you guys could share tips to make the install go smooth. I've got a 96 crew cab, long box, 4x4 and am planning on putting in a oil temp gauge and 203 t-stat when I do the conversion. Any advice/suggestions, are greatly appreciated. Also, I saw on an older post that installing a ball valve so that the system can be isolated, is recommended. Is this something that now comes with the kit, and if not, can I pick one up at a local auto supply store?

Thanks
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM

I would spray a bit of pb blaster or some sort of liquid wrench on the extra fuel port fittings in the head where the new fuel lines will go. The one behind the turbo was a bit of a pain in the butt to get out on mine.
When I did my install, I did all the mechanical work one day(fuel lines, coolant, mounting manifold, etc) and then took a break and did the electrical the next day.
The first time the green light comes on and you come to a stop light and a hint of your exhaust smell comes through your window you will instantly forget about the wait time.
It will then be worth every penny.
Enjoy
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 AM

it takes longer cause the obs kits need alot more stuff. i asked them when i went up there and cause mine took about a month to and they said they dont sell as many obs kits so they usually have to get more parts in. mainly the wiring harness for the mechanical to electric fuel
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschaffer View Post
Hello All,

So I ordered the V3 on April 1st, expecting to get it within two to three weeks. Its now looking like it might not arrive until mid May. If it wasn't held in such high regard on this forum, I would be a little concerned. Because I spend around $100/week on fuel, its starting to feel like an expensive delay. Oh well, I understand that there are some things nobody can control. Since I have this time until the v3 arrives I thought maybe some of you guys could share tips to make the install go smooth. I've got a 96 crew cab, long box, 4x4 and am planning on putting in a oil temp gauge and 203 t-stat when I do the conversion. Any advice/suggestions, are greatly appreciated. Also, I saw on an older post that installing a ball valve so that the system can be isolated, is recommended. Is this something that now comes with the kit, and if not, can I pick one up at a local auto supply store?

Thanks
David
Just hang in there man. I bought my V3 during the $5.00/gallon diesel days and i had to wait 5 weeks. But once you get it, you will understand why its worth the wait.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the turnkey version, I was planing on the simple veggiestroke because on their website it says that it comes with everything you need to complete the job. I called before I placed the order and was told that I would need to buy a bunch more stuff to make it work. Because this will be my first conversion, I bit the bullet and went with the turnkey. Has anybody out there run the V3 in cold (northern Michigan) winters without any mods to the system? I am planning on putting a 203t-stat and a oil temp guage just to be sure I'm getting the temps I want, if I can't get 160 or above I'll add a heat exchanger and maybe coolant pump. Any thoughts?

David
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 PM

I can't imagine you'll get 160+ without a FPHE. Also, I don't know that it really matters on the PSD (anticipate beating from militant forum members here). Read the why HEUI rocks sticky for the explanation.

While I added a FPHE to my conversion (not a v3), sometimes I think it was just for my own piece of mind, not because it really matters.

On a psd, you want to make sure the oil is hot enough to flow and hot enough to filter. Beyond that, let the heads do the work.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I can't imagine you'll get 160+ without a FPHE. Also, I don't know that it really matters on the PSD (anticipate beating from militant forum members here). Read the why HEUI rocks sticky for the explanation.

While I added a FPHE to my conversion (not a v3), sometimes I think it was just for my own piece of mind, not because it really matters.

On a psd, you want to make sure the oil is hot enough to flow and hot enough to filter. Beyond that, let the heads do the work.

I agree. Where David is going to be running his truck I feel a FPHE is in order. I have installed a V3's without the FPHE and I always put in a gauge. You dont have the heat you think. You NEED when more heat when temps are 0*F. Without adding electric heat to the mix, the system CANNOT provide too much heat. The fault in the V3 is easily over come in very cold climates though.

The filter is under the truck, subject to road salt, sand, ice and a very cold breeze when temps get nasty. The electric heater wrap doesnt cut it IMHO. I prefer to not rely on heat from the heads to achieve a safe temp, when for less than $100 worth of very simple heat exchanger you can be sure. And, If you dont have a gauge, there is no way to know. With a FPHE, and a gauge, you can be sure you will be operating at same temps in any climate.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschaffer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the turnkey version, I was planing on the simple veggiestroke because on their website it says that it comes with everything you need to complete the job. I called before I placed the order and was told that I would need to buy a bunch more stuff to make it work. Because this will be my first conversion, I bit the bullet and went with the turnkey. Has anybody out there run the V3 in cold (northern Michigan) winters without any mods to the system? I am planning on putting a 203t-stat and a oil temp guage just to be sure I'm getting the temps I want, if I can't get 160 or above I'll add a heat exchanger and maybe coolant pump. Any thoughts?

David
vegginpsd lives up north, he has some good time with cold vo. im sure he will post soon...

edit: there he be!

Last edited by ridiculously_necessary; 05-06-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^

Already threw my $.02 in Matt!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks again fellas,

I am starting to lean toward the addition of a FPHE, If you live in the cold north and run a V3 without one you are more then welcome to tell me different. Considering I have spent over 4 grand on the kit and another $1500 hundred on the centrifuge/filtering equipment, I might as well play it safe with the FPHE. I am planning on running this truck on wvo for at least another 200K, in eight or so years from now I would like to be able to pull the system out of this truck and put it in a shiny new 03'..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.